Richt to Miami

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NYY, Dec 3, 2015.

1. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Sounds like you're speaking of and spending too much time on TOS

I would wager that throughout history there have been very, very few teams so dominate to run the natty gauntlet and not need "luck" in doing so. Still, along the way they prob had their share as well

The majority of logical and rational (sports name here) fans realize to accomplish that feat there is some degree of luck involved

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

My point was that good luck helped Fulmer get his, while bad luck helped prevent Richt from getting his. As was pointed out, you make your own luck but it still has to be part of the equation. Fulmer isn't a better coach than Richt in my opinion, and Fulmer having a natty doesn't prove anything to the contrary.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Sounds like you need to break out your bammer gear.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think that's a fair point, but all we ever have to go on is what actually happens

5. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Really, how so?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel like this job counts as a mission trip to Coral Gables for Richt. JMO.

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I'm not sure how anyone can objectively look at the careers of both and say that Richt is better. Can't see it, him not cashing in on the ungodly amount of talent he had at Georgia is almost criminal. Fulmer underachived when you consider the rosters UT had during hie best years but nothing like Georgia under Richt.

Let's hold all these coaches to the same standard, at big time programs, it's about rings, conference or national, what do you have? Fulmer edges out Richt. Can't see it any other way.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

To be fair, I stopped reading the other post after the "Looks like someone..." sentence.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  9. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I think the only real difference between them is Fulmer's Natty. The records are essentially identical and Richt did compete in a more difficult East and SEC for a good portion of his tenure. But I agree, there's really no way to say Richt's better.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't know about Richt being better, but I don't think he'd have let us drop off a cliff like Phil did in 2008. And if he had, and I'm being honest with myself, I'd have felt better about Richt getting us out of the hole and being at least decent again.

11. GahLee

Not having to leave atlanta to recruit certainly helps.

12. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Honest question, say Fulmer not Richt was GA's HC, iyo does he do better, same or worse vs. same opp's / schedule?

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Why do you think Fulmer could not get another HC job and Richts opportunities were plenty?

14. GahLee

Because Fulmer was old and had obviously seen his best days? Full body of work. I take Fulmer.

15. GahLee

Hard do say. The prevailing thought about the decline was that Fulmer grew complacent and basically stopped working the recruiting trail, having all that homegrown talent at his disposal maybe prolongs his best years.

Who knows really, hypotheticals aren't really a good way to make a point, so I'll defer to what actually happened. Richt may be a better pure coach but his results don't show it.

Say he is the better coach, if you add that to the massive gap between in-state talent between Georgia and Tennessee prospects, does that not make the case for Fulmer even stronger? A worse coach with a quarter of the recruiting base, yet better results.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I don't think Richt is going to have to go terribly far to recruit now.

17. GahLee

He will have to fight Florida and Florida State for the top talent, before there was Georgia Tech, which runs an offense not many elite players want to be part of.

Plenty of talent down there, just more competition for it.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Matt Stafford, AJ Green, and Todd Gurley were out of state guys. Richt is a good recruiter even without a talented homebase.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There was more to Fulmer's demise than recruiting. That 2008 team had enough to talent to be a good team. He flat out couldn't run a practice without Johnny or Cutcliffe there.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And never believed in any accountability for himself or his players.