Rogue One

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Disappointment can only be possible where some hopeful enjoyment once existed. Ultimately, my son thoroughly enjoyed it, and that made it more than worth the $75 bucks.

Personally, I don't understand why they followed The Force Awakens, and which I felt was quite strong, with something that took place well before the original Star Wars, outside of just a ham-handed effort at keeping the franchise in the semi-annual spotlight and just as another pure cash grab. I also felt like this movie dragged painfully on, as a whole, and again in contrast to Force Awakens, which just seemed more action-packed and capable of holding the attention of non-devoted watchers, such as myself. Worse, it needlessly belabored on in the development of plot lines and characters which would ultimately prove to be complete dead ends, offering little substantive benefit to the franchise as a whole, if any at all. I neither cared for nor saw the point in it, at all.

The allegiance of fans to the Star Wars franchise is legendary, even despite a clear and certain cash grab alone, as this was.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You are not the target audience at all. I am. And I loved the telling of the story about how the plans were stolen.

I don't understand how people "don't get it", but my youngest is in that camp. Want to trade kids?

And all movies are cash grabs.

3. Tenacious D

Yeah, right and let my kid be raised with an emphasis on love & tolerance?

Nice try, Buddha.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don't get. And have no interest in trying to get it either.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't understand why Rogue One is more of a cash grab than Force Awakens. Hell, at least Rogue One was a new story. Force Awakens was basically just redoing the same story, which they just did maybe fifteen years ago with the Special Editions.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Rouge One was ten times the movie Force Awakens was.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Easily.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Disney's merchandizing is the cash grab. The movies are just pretense for an entire isle of Star Wars in Target for the second year.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the Force Awakens was one of the, if not the, weakest in the franchise. It's right there with Episode One for me.

10. Tenacious D

I'll defer to everyone on the Star Wars front, but this was the worst one for me.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

This is spot on.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It had some good action, at least. Episode I was a complete waste of time minus the light saber duel at the end.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It was at least a reasonable length. Most of the other movies were three hours of awful.

14. NorrisAlan

I loved Force Awakens.

But this was a one off and just happened to be in the Star Wars universe. It was a WWII movie in space. And I cannot wait for more.

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm hoping I can look back at VII with better memories at the conclusion of the trilogy. But on its own it was very underwhelming.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Meh, it was what it was, an ode to the originals and a transition. It was enjoyable to me. I expect a lot more from episode 8.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

If Episode 8 is great, 7 becomes more palatable and understandable.

18. NorrisAlan

This is exactly what it was for me.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I more or less expect 8 to be awesome and kylo ren to come into his own.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes