Rogue One

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Dec 23, 2016.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Some of the action scenes were tiresome and could have been cut down significantly.

2. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I liked 1-3 because interesting things happened, but the acting wasn't very good. I agree with other posters on R1, but I didn't like 7 as much--felt like they basically remade 4 to get some nostalgia-based approval

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That was my thought, as well. Oh, another Death Star thing with another fatal flaw that can be exploited by one person. Let's bring the orphan from the desert planet.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

My favorite part of 2 was the ending where they used a torpedo to shoot Spock's body to the Genesis planet.

I love Amazing Grace on the bagpipes.

-Tenny

5. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I feel like Lucas focused on the wrong relationship for 1-3. Rather than focusing on Anakin's relationship with Padme, more emphasis should've been placed on Anakin's relationship with Obi Wan.

Their Jedi relationship/adventures as Master and apprentice would've been much more appealing, objectively a better story, less cheesy overall, and would have made episode III's betrayal much more theatric and emotionally wrenching while fully portraying the divide in Anakin's morals that were instilled in him and their flaws.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

But he had to build up the relationship with the girl, because that's what gets him to go to the Dark Side.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I watch movies for the story, not the acting. World class acting can't make a bad story good.

So I can't relate to the "acting" reason for not liking them.

8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

There is much truth here, more than you probably realize.

How many of us recognize "good acting" when we see it?

9. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

And that relationship is easy to build. Guy likes girl because she's pretty, gets her pregnant, finds out she's going to die due to pregnancy, and, bam, story made. So many hours put into that relationship that were unnecessary when a better story occurred right alongside it without any exposure.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Show me a great actor, and I'll show you a ****ing liar.

11. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Cast Away

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I saw the Off Broadway production of Driving Miss Daisy when visiting NY on a senior trip in high school. Morgan Freeman was in it. It was basically him & whoever played Miss Daisy and a couple of chairs on the stage. Was the best pure acting I've witnessed, and I had that impression as an 18 year old that would have much rather been running around NY that watching a low budget play. We also saw Cats. It was ok. On a later trip where I helped chaperone 8th graders on a NY trip my first year teaching, we saw the rock opera Tommy. I liked it better than Cats. I mean who doesn't like The Who? However, the cheap production of Driving Miss Daisy kicked the shit out of both of them from a pure acting point of view.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Great Acting:

Heath Ledger as Joker

Christian Bale in American Psycho

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Great acting cannot save a bad story but bad acting can ruin a good story

15. fl0at_

Disagree. If you are noticing the acting, you aren't committed to the story. That's an attention problem.

That's why "the book was better than the movie" is a constant refrain: because those people were fully committed to the story, and the acting was in their head.

None of those people are good actors, so why was the play in their mind so much better?

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I can agree with this.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Anakin's acting is so bad I don't see how you can't notice it.

18. fl0at_

I've never really been able to tell when someone was faking it, and that's all acting is, really.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Does that mean it seems like everyone is faking it to you, all the time?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I describe good acting as a performance in which you completely forget that the character and actor are completely separate people, that there is a script, and that the situation is really taking place in a studio. Bad dialogue delivery or writing hurts things the most. The presence of not readily understandable/definable emotional reactions is a powerful 2-edged sword that makes or breaks things. Because that is how people really are- complex and unpredictable. Completely cardboard, child-like emotional responses doom performances though, so you have to risk the 2-edged sword.

No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood are two good examples where pretty much every role was well-acted. Actually, Daniel Day Lewis really only does great acting. He doesn't seem to know how to do anything else. Being a weirdo in real life seems to aid in wielding the double-edged sword of complex emotional response.