Santorum

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Feb 14, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Exactly. You asked why Santorum is gaining steam? It is because he is taking a few pages out of the Bush playbook. He isn't surrounded by near as many savvy people as Bush had surrounding him and has nowhere near the money, but he is trying to out-conservative Romney and is doing a pretty good job of it of you ask me.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I still think Romney gets the nod. There isn't any chance this douche gets the VP slot, is there?

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Don't think so. Rubio in Florida I would guess.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I do agree with that. It's idiotic to push someone to college when they are either a) not smart enough to succeed; b) don't give a rat's ass about it; or c) both.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's a fair enough point. But it is like I said earlier. Bush seemed genuine (and took the back door route to get those people to come out and vote), but it just seems to obvious that Santorum is a fake.

It's sad that people just can't see through it. And it's still amazing that he's jumped so fast so quickly.

I still think Romney wins the nod. But I'm just amazed watching the momentum he's gained in a relatively brief amount of time.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I imagine Mike Griffith has cast his vote then

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Card, I think for the most part the social conservatism is real, or at least something he is willing to go down the ship with. He got totally crushed in the PA senate race by running on a cultural issues stance in 2006. He got lampooned so bad in the Philadelphia newspapers (I was living there then) you started to feel sorry for the guy.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Interesting. It just comes across as fake to me. I don't know why.

Maybe it's because he's a one trick pony and has to tie everything back to it. I don't know.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Well, it definitely is an electoral strategy. Bush ran as a limited government domestic "compassionate conservative" in 2000 and became an anti-gay marriage, pro-war president by 2004. I don't think either of those things weren't genuine per se, but he definitely was able to sell a narrative that this was the "true George W." in 2004. One of the most impressive victories in electoral history, rivaled only by Grover Cleveland's first race.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

How screwed are we, this election cycle?

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That's not correct, Jo. Bush might have tempered down the rhetoric or used climate change instead of global warming. He was still on record supporting Civil Unions where Santorum explicitly opposes it, and he believes in global warming where Santorum explicitly does not. He also campaigned on his immigration policy, which is in diametric opposition to Santorum's.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't. It's not about making someone a "big earner." It's about allowing people to have the tools to stay out of poverty. College does do that. For example, look at the difference between a CNA and an RN.

13. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Exactly. Santorum just said that because he doesn't feel that women should be in any position other than at home making babies. (See his discusion regarding females serving in the military)

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Then he's even dumber than I thought if he actually believes the shit he says. And, there's absolutely no reason to feel sorry for him. Hell, he should be ridiculed about it as much as possible.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You seem really angry with me lately.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Haha. Not angry with you at all, Jo. I detest Santorum. Sorry, if I came off as a [Penis]. I wasn't trying to.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A work ethic helps and college isn't bringing that out in some.

Trade schools are a better alternative than a sociology degree. School programs that let kids develop a skill set instead of teaching for a test would help too but that's wishful thinking.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Santorum represents the worst of politicians to me. He talks about small government until one's values conflict with his own. Then, there should be 'a law agin' that. Add to that his fleecing through pork and you have a textbook hypocrite that has little substance and simply plays off people's base emotions.

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That's cool. Santorum has a lot of enemies. But he has played this pretty well, astonishingly well in fact. And I think he tapped into some parts of the party that Bush was able to as well. That's not a slam of Bush... just an insight into some of the fractures of the Republican party, which you have well-documented.

20. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

That applies to anyone, not just poor unwed mothers like Santorum apparently thinks.