Santorum

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Feb 14, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The Republicans including social issues is what allowed them to become so nationally viable, even if it is a tenuous balance. They have to have it in order to compete at a national level. Milquetoast Republicans just can't work nationally. Romney is a perfect example of this even though he is smart, well-polished and run for all intents and purposes a good campaign. But since he can't really have a heart to heart with the American public on religion because of his "M" problem -- as you mentioned earlier -- it is hard for him to lock this thing down fully.

Santorum is not the most articulate spokesperson for his brand of conservatism, but he represents a part of the party (and of some independents in places like Ohio, Tennessee) that Republicans need in order to survive.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think that strategy and thinking is outdated, and will only become more so with each passing year. The well is going to run dry on them.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Long problem with this - Tenny would be looking for the closet guy look alike to NYY.

Otherwise, good comparison.

4. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Agreed. The politically aware segment of the 18-24ish demographic, as far as I can tell, want Ron Paul. Give it a few more elections. The repubs need a guy like him who isn't fixated on destroying the financial backbone of the country, and they'll probably have a winner.

5. CardinalVol

I agree with this.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think this is a fantastic summation of the political landscape.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not sure how anyone that's "politically aware" could honestly believe that Paul's policies could actually work. He's done a service to forcing the party to go back towards the way of smaller government and reduced spending. However, Paul's positions are simply way too extreme to actually work on a large scale. To me, it can be summed up like this: the more extreme your views are (either to the right to the left), the more it is simply theoretical bullshit rather than practical ideas.

8. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

"Politically aware" at 18-24 means they at least have an opinion, however superficial it may be, IMO, iyam, vfl.

9. CardinalVol

A lot of both smart and well-educated people seem to agree with a lot of Paul's economic positions. Frankly, I like a lot of them (sans the gold standard). You couldn't get there over night, but you could in 5-10 year period.

10. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

The gold standard silliness makes him look like a paranoid schoolboy. Other than that, I have no real issue with him.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

His foreign policy is just stupid and naive. I'm not well-versed enough in economics to argue whether it would work or not.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Gotcha. I agree with that then.

13. CardinalVol

Agreed 100%. One major reason I could never vote for him.

14. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

I understand his sentiment. However, those bases are strategically placed. Seoul is near China and Taiwan. Bahrain, home of the Fifth Fleet, is an obvious one. Etc. One's opinion on his stance will likely be forged by one's political wishes. As an "internationalist", as some deem me, I want those bases kept because I want to protect our economically liberal allies, thereby further fomenting the economic progress of humanity.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Thats an understatement. I think Paul is a cool dude but some of his views would get this country ass raped.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

On a conceptual level I agree with his foreign policy. It is the extremeness at which he would like to adjust it that I question.

17. CardinalVol

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Wow. Coulter actually making sense rather than coming across as a psycho assed [itch bay]. Color me surprised.

19. CardinalVol

She tends to sway back and forth, depending on what the situation calls for.

I'm ready to see her and Malkin go at it (preferably in mud wrestling) over the primary. Would be a more enjoyable way to settle this.

Actually, if it comes down to a brokered convention, I am in full support of this.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Attached Files: