Santorum

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Feb 14, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'm not arguing who is or isn't the best candidate. That's irrelevant to me. I am trying to answer Card's initial question about Santorum's resurgence. In part, he taps into a part of the electorate you clearly don't like. But there's also serious divisions within the party revealed by the Paul-Romney-Santorum split. The party hasn't been this split since maybe William Howard Taft-Teddy Roosevelt's fight. And that says something about the party, and something about Romney, and something about Santorum.

And why are you cautioning me from having discussion? Isn't that why this board exists?

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not cautioning you from having discussion; I'm cautioning you from getting yourself under the delusion that Rick Santorum has suddenly, decided to start campaigning well. That way, when you're answering Card's question, you won't appear to be a member of the Santorum campaign. Again, Santorum's "resurgence" has happened because he won two evangelical states who's idiot voting members actually buy his garbageand base their entire vote on the abortion issue. He managed to steal a win in Colorado in large part due to the 2 feet of snow on the ground and the record low turnout. Also, Romney basically didn't campaign at all there while Santorum spent tons of money there.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about the supposed "split" in the party. The Democratic Party was more split than this in '08 and won the election easily. In the end, the fringe, morons that favor Santorum are irrelevant in the general election because, even though they hate Romney, they hate Obama more and will vote for Romney in order to vote against Obama.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Law, I'm calling it quits on this one.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Good, because our chess game is suffering from your distraction.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jo is just trying to explain a possible reasoning for his recent success. He isn't arguing for Santorum.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I have a dog we call Random Dog, simply because it showed up one day and never left. I will vote for her before I'd vote for obama.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well hell, I'll vote for Random Dog too. is she at least 5 years old?

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Does your dogs name happen to be Gary Johnson? If so, I'll be voting for your dog most likely.

9. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

She's old, she's deaf, and barks after people come into the house. We are going to have to have her tail cut off because she has cancer on it.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I have a cousin that is the same way. All but the cancer part.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Battling cancer? The media is going to eat that up.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I agree. I really like Newt but I could get on board with Mit if he ends up being the man.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

A pretty large group of people that actually go to college can't hack it. I doubt the population that never enrolls wpuld fare even better. In fact, they'd probably do worse.

14. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Are you voting for Obama with me?

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Voting for Obama isn't sending a message to the Republican Party to get more conservative. You need to look into a third party candidate.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

No. I'd rather not vote than do that. I'll look into third party candidates, just like the last 2 times.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I laughed.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There's just not a viable third party option. They are all from the fringes. Perot has been the only legit third party option in my lifetime.

I can support Romney or Newt. There are things I like and dislike about both. I've truthfully not decided which I will vote for yet. I just don't like Santorum. If somehow he does come out of this, November may be the first state or federal election I don't vote in.

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If Santorun somehow became the nominee, I'll vote for Obama. And, it won't be to send a message; I would just much rather have Obama than Rick Santorum.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012