Scathing article on 60 minutes crew arrested in Lebanon

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 16, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

By causing mass migrations that led to them having to start from nothing all over again and deflating the value of labor in those destinations from the big influx of people. Why do you think there are so much less black people in those other regions, if things were great for them there?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

The drug war continues. The sentencing/incarceration stuff continues and really has never been worse.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Somehow I don't think the people selling drugs and commiting crimes would have ended up as upstanding college graduates if they had been white

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are you retarded?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

My time on college campuses has shown me that your thought is incorrect.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

First off you said thousands. Second why do you think an area with tens of thousands of Japanese citizens only incarcerated a couple of hundred? You do realize there were actual Japanese collaborators in Hawaii right?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Riiigghhhttt

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Expound please.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

400 were held at that particular camp. There were 17 camps. Tell the congressman that. It is historical fact that that vast majority of interned Japanese Americans were innocent. If you're saying they weren't, then why are you arguing that this small period of time was equivalent to slavery and racism faced by blacks?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Plenty of college kids do illegal things, sell drugs, and use drugs then go on to have normal lives.

12. NorrisAlan

Yes, of course. They were already in college, probably were decent students in high school. But Joe Cool selling meth out of his trailer in Oneida, having dropped out of school at 15 is not going to go on to have a great life, unless he wises up FAST and leaves it all behind. Today. And gets cleaned up. And gets his GED. And isn't in prison.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Look at what I was replying to. Unless you're arguing 100 % or 99 % of people who sell drugs/do illegal things never become normal citizens, we have no disagreement. droski said people who do "x" aren't going to be upstanding college graduates. That is patently untrue for a good chunk of people doing that in college. The truth is, white people deal more drugs and use more drugs than black people, and go to prison less often and for less time.

14. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Do you think only having access to a public defender is a major cause for this?

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

They moved their for better jobs, housing, and opportunities; like what motivates most people who move. If these mass migrations were such a negative then why has there been a new mass migration South since the mid sixties?

16. NorrisAlan

Anyone can change, and in fact always are changing. It is the philosophy I live by. I assumed he was talking about gang drug dealers, Russian mafia types or Redneck Guy in Dark Holler selling drugs with no intention of doing otherwise. And the chances of them leading a good life are slim to none. Unless they wake up.

And yes, the police seem to target the black neighborhoods and crack down on their drug dealing a lot harder than in the white suburbs. But I think that is changing, as more and more heroin dealers are getting busted and the last video I saw a large majority of them getting busted were white people.

EDIT : That last paragraph is just my gut feeling, not having direct access or knowledge of actual police activities.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Many didn't find the better opportunities they left for.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Socio-economics certainly play a large role, but then we have to ask why there is such a difference in socio-economics. Somehow, that sort of discussion becomes "but what about Appalachia!!!!!", which of course ignores the very phenomenon originally discussed to talk about a separate one.

The other issue is that many public defenders are less motivated, however unconsciously, to defend someone they perceive as being a "thug" or otherwise person of ill standing. A public defender is much more likely to try hard for the guy that reminds them of their nephew than the guy that doesn't.

Then we could ask why most public defenders are white. And on and on. It's a complex issue that boils down to some painful facts that some people don't want to acknowledge because they feel it undermines their own accomplishments to admit another group has it way harder.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm talking about Hawaii, not the entire Japanese interment program. it's a historical fact that the vast majority of japenese in Hawaii were not interned.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and the vast majority of those white or black don't end up in jail.