Scathing article on 60 minutes crew arrested in Lebanon

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

/thread.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't be ridiculous. I'll be coming in hot when I'm off work.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

:popcorn:

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

You laughing because he said work? I assume that, as a liberal democrat, he meant standing in line.

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

For some reason, I just pictured a really handsome fella, in a chemistry lab, on his iphone wanting his block of instruction to end so he could make it home to give em what for!

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

"A kid born in the ghetto will always be "the black guy," with the connotations that go with it." -IP

When you come in hot let's start with this.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's pretty racist

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Would you say as hot as cheap lumber doused in gasoline? I wouldn't, but the lines of thought are similar.

9. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

Undeniably, white privilege existed for centuries. It was engrained in the minds of everyone, whether they agreed with it or not.

It doesn't dissappear overnight. Not with abolition, not with brown v. Board, not with the civil rights act, not with good times, roots, white shadow, Cosby or sesame street. Not with affirmative action, not with colin powell.

The good news is that it is slowly abating over time.

But it's still there.

It's not necessarily the fault of anyone not wearing a white hood. And it's certainly not to be used to excuse anything. It sucks, but it exists, nonetheless.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

A little fiery here, too.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let's all remember who through that out first. Just kidding, it will be Uni and IP who always go to the race card.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm illustrating that people who aren't white are viewed as outsiders, often unconsciously, no matter where they are found. If someone is born in poor circumstances and is white ("trailer park" as others were using as a white stand in-- but you didn't think that was objectionable and racist, did you? Weird, like you're a hypocrite or something), a new identity away from there that they work themselves into will completely remove them from ever being looked at as "white trash." Someone who is born in poor circumstances and is black ("ghetto," which I wasn't even the first one to use this common stand-in for poor black community on this forum today, but again, you quickly point it out as if I invented the stereotype I'm using to illustrate a point because you've got an axe to grind and don't care to be open-minded) is always a hoodie or dark alley away from being a "thug", or "suspicious," or otherwise seen as a threat if in they are somewhere "out of place." That's white privilege. If you stroll through a predominantly black housing project, you're going to look out-of-place and possibly be a mark for crime. If a poor black person is walking through a very nice white neighborhood, they're going to have the police called on them.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Laws vary by country. If I were to marry an Amazonian princess, I should be damn aware that if we go back to the kingdom of the Amazons I will have no power or standing. I'm still waiting for someone to argue with me on that, or the nature of the "kidnapping" by the father. As I said, if you flip things around and have a mother keeping the kids in the US, no one is calling that kidnapping.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

[youtube]hD5f8GuNuGQ[/youtube]

Some you seem to think "privilege" means "fault," or something bad. It doesn't. You're being overly defensive, like you have something that will be taken away from you.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

If I posted a bunch of studies demonstrating white privilege, would you guys just dismiss them out of hand? I'm assuming so.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I guess I'm not paying attention because I'm not aware of any advantage I've received due to white privilege.

On the lighter side, that could be because I'm a dark skinned "white" individual of Melungeon heritage. Maybe I just qualify for semi-white indifference.

17. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

It would actually have to exist and be in my possession for me to "lose" it... I love how this nebulous idea of "privilege" is held out there like it's an unassailable fact when so many whites don't even ****ing know they HAVE it.....

18. RockyHill

Saying people will always see race and saying the kid from the ghetto will always be known as the kid from the ghetto are two very different things. You know that right? I'm more than willing to acknowledge the existence of white privilege, it's the conclusions made about its effects and its pervasiveness that are crap. For example, I read a Vice article today that showed blacks/minorities were disproportionately targeted by police for traffic violations in one NJ community. That's white privilege. We still have a lot of things to fix when it comes to racial equality in this country but the story told by most people screaming "white privilege" is a lie.

19. RockyHill

You were born Melungeon Jay and you will always be Melungeon Jay. No amount of walleye served as a bribe will allow you to enter our white privilege circle.

20. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

Or maybe jay is blessed with enough humility and kindness that it simply never occurred to him.

And I'm sure there is enough walleye for a buy-out. Don't discourage him.