Scathing article on 60 minutes crew arrested in Lebanon

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 16, 2016.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

We don't have a society that bends over backwards to make sure that their job, taxes, or voting is fair and is outright terrified of offending said voters or taxpayers or workers

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the entire premise that we can't expect people to compete on the same level as other races is inherently racist

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't think NA said that at all, and I don't really think that's the point of "white privilege" anyway. It's an attempt to lay guilt on a bunch of people who don't have anything to do with the problem, probably in the hopes that they'll feel the government is justified in redistributing their wealth

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Uni is like a guy with cancer who is spending his time worrying about the runny nose he has

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't think so. The silliness about the deck being stacked against people runs deep and he clearly feels like outside help is a solution. It's pathetic, but it's where he is. Self-determination is of no value. All the white people who survived and thrived post depression were just privileged.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Poor people, regardless of skin color, have it rough.

The kid born to a white trailer park meth head doesn't have it any easier than the black kid born to a single mother in government housing. To say otherwise is really dumb.

7. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I just want to know what I can legally do that a black, yellow, red, tan or whatever person CAN'T do... 60 years ago? Yeah, you got an argument. Now? Pull up your panties.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If that's what were being argued, you might have a point.

9. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

But the white kid doesn't live in concentrated poverty so it's not as bad.

10. Savage Orange

And even then, this is still America. Put in the work, stay out of trouble and good things are very likely to come your way. That's not "privilege".

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Of course that's the argument

12. JohnnyQuickkick

i dunno, a white kid in a trailer park?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The kid in the trailer park won't be instantly judged as from a trailer park if he can find a way to get a fresh start somewhere. A kid born in the ghetto will always be "the black guy," with the connotations that go with it.

14. RockyHill

That is a huge crock of shit and you know it.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It isn't, whether you realize it or not.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not in my experiences with it.

17. Savage Orange

Seriously... Disingenuous at best, and certainly intellectual laziness. By that argument no black person would ever have escaped the clutches of "the Ghetto"....

18. RockyHill

Huh?

19. JohnnyQuickkick

a trailer park sounds like concentrated poverty to me.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I didn't say hush. I said move on. My Cub Scout den master has a degree in black history and she was dismayed that the kids these days don't understand the troubles that black people went through in this country. Oh, they know it happened, but they don't understand it. I said I thought it was great that they don't understand it.

Time to move on. Get past this. Continuously wallowing in it and talking about it just keeps the wounds open. And labeling it "white privilege" is simply another trigger. I remember taking some education courses in UT (I was going to be a middle school teacher, but the college of education wouldn't let me in because after my interview they said I was too much of an "independent thinker" and wouldn't fit well in the public education sector), and someone started talking about this "invisible backpack". It almost felt like I was being browbeaten for having the audacity to have been born to white parents.

Let's fix the issues we have at hand, instead of pointing fingers. In previous discussions on this topic it was said it isn't white guilt, it is white privilege, and that we are not understanding the meaning of it.

I do understand the meaning of it. But the label causes recoil and blame, whether you think it should or not.