Screw SunTrust

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DownNDirty, Apr 14, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

nor I. I love some Costco though.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Taxpayers are having to subsidize and feed their employees. Corporate welfare. Thought you'd be all over something like that.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't agree with our current welfare system, but that isn't at the hands of Walmart. Walmart stores are generally located in places with limited retail options, and provide jobs that the area otherwise wouldn't have.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

a) the low pay of their employees goes directly to consumers (walmart has razor thin margins). so in the end everyone benefits.

b) the types of folks willing to work for that wage surely aren't going to making more money elsewhere because well they would be working elsewhere. therefore you are depriving those people of jobs. take a look at the average cashier at walmart and compare it to say trader joes and don't tell me those are the same people competing for those jobs.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Plus a slightly smaller percentage of Walmart’s workforce receives public benefits than the average of the U.S. retail sector as a whole.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It undercuts local businesses that would keep more money in the community. Isn't there studies on this?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

a walmart creates a shitload of sales tax revenue. and who is to say said local business isn't hiring people at minimum wage as volst suggested or is spending their profits in that community? there have been plenty of studies on both sides. but I wouldn't say they are very easy to calculate. hard for me to believe the benefit of low prices to low income people and the sales tax revenue doesn't far outweigh the negatives.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We agree on something.

I'll start a list.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. Walmart
    2. Big booties
    3. Vols
    4. The Big Lebowski

We have things.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We're going to have to bump big booties to #1

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I thought South Park did an episode on this. Does there need to be anything else?

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Never had a problem with Suntrust. Been with them for 13 years. Been dealing with the same tellers and managers at the same branch for a large part of that time.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Sears and Roebucks catalogs did too when they started sending them out.

But the communities were also made richer by more choices at lower prices than local businesses can provide.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

let's also not forget that people from outside the community will go to walmart, but are unlikely to go to the local mom and pop.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I really believe in buying local, but I don't hate on people that does business with big box stores because it makes sense money wise.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I buy local if the quality or price is better (sometimes service when it comes to say a hardware store), but that's it. I'm not subsidizing antiquated business models just for the sake of it.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I hate WalMart because I think a lot of their stuff is shit, it's generally a pain in the ass to get in and out of, their stores always seem dirty and I have a million other options that are closer and better. And I can't say I agree with labor practices.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I like Costco and overlook their politics. You know that they play for your side; right?

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Why is that; are employees living beyond their means (i.e., having children that they cannot afford)?

Heaven forbid that there be some personal accountability.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah I was shocked by the lack of selection and quality the last time I went in.