Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Done - basically starts as the Hurricane is approaching and begins subsiding once the winds turn around.

Savage Orange likes this.
  2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Gotcha. I was under the impression that it precedes the storm but double dips and comes in again after the storm passes also.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Depends on where you are. If you are on an island or there’s an extended pass behind you, then you would get it twice. First should be the worst but I suppose that could depend.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Our guys that went up to restore power said the transmission system is devastated. Haven't seen any reports on the distribution lines yet. But this does show that underground power lines aren't necessarily the answer to all the problems. As long as most of the equipment is under water, they won't energize it. The actual pipe and wire are fine, they're normally in water in Florida anyway, and it helps cool the wire down, but the transformers and switch cabinets are screwed

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sounds expensive.

justingroves likes this.
  6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My house is poured concrete block, with hip style, low roof, the insurance company still penetrates me deeply, and what is covered goes down all the time too.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

We may see a time when insurance companies won't touch houses near the beach.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Yep, and I'm about 6 miles from the water

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Time to move!

I would love to see a government buy back program where you can sell your waterfront property to the government and then they can start re-duning the whole coast. But people like living on the beach.

I inform them that a) insurance may decline you in this area and b) zip, zero, nada government assistance other than we will buy your lot.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm under 3 years left.

11. Savage Orange

I still don't get why the government allowed parts of New Orleans to rebuild after Katrina. The whole city is in a bowl just waiting to be filled up by the next storm...
    I understand that many US insurance companies already won’t touch beachfront stuff so the ones that DO underwrite coastal properties (obviously) aren’t based in the US and consequently aren’t bound by US insurance laws. Rates can go up on a whim and there’s no ceiling...

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If I get a chance to kill a few I'll let you know

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yes I like them all. Weather down there looks great next week. Thinking about taking the wife to The Pointe at Inlet.

Savage Orange likes this.
  14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah, please do. I’d like to smoke it. I’m happy to pay for it and/or cover shipping.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I should be in east Tennessee quite a bit the next 6 months. I just don't know if I'll get a chance to kill any this fall

The Dooz likes this.
  16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

My power lines are underground. I have been without power since 2:00 yesterday.

17. Savage Orange

My brother in law is a small time farmer in south Georgia. He kills hogs by the bushel... matter of fact, if he could, he could stay up during planting season all night every night doing nothing but shooting deer and hogs. I asked him if he kept any. He said once you see enough of them (especially the deer...) you lose your taste for ‘em. He keeps asking me to come down and help him shoot ‘em. I need to take him up on it.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes, you should.

19. Savage Orange

Last time I was down there he showed me some photos he’d taken of a black Florida Panther that’s been in the area. He tried to report it to Georgia DNR and they told him it was just a large house cat. Their official position is that Florida panthers (black, Brown or otherwise) don’t exist in Georgia even though at least one has been shot, to the legal chagrin of the shooter... one guy from Newnan killed a panther, got arrested and got the charges dropped because the DNR would rather not have to admit their error...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

lylsmorr likes this.