Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can't watch right now. Do they talk about rapid intensification? Back in my undergrad days, it was a rare footnote of a possibility. Now it feels like it is almost every hurricane.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Main points I took from it:

1) It's like the storm had eyes. Avoided the Yucatan and Cuban mountains, then dry air to the west and FL peninsula to the east while moving through the gulf.
    2) It never stalled.
    3) Water temps above normal.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

GCB explained much better.

4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Up until a couple of years ago I was a climate change skeptic but storms like this and the way they are forming really ought to give people pause.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is going to be more and more impossible to maintain the "skeptic" view point. You believe the fist is real when it finally hits your face.

6. Savage Orange

I came around once I finally separated the political agenda from the scientific evidence.

7. Savage Orange

I can credit IP with helping me get there too, believe it or not. I can’t remember exactly what it was he said but that was when I really started to see through the politization of the issue... from BOTH sides.

That’s about as much political commentary as I’ll ever make here ever again...

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just saw the air view of mexico beach. Looks like we dropped a nuke on the place.

utvol0427 likes this.
  9. Savage Orange

I’ll be interested to see what it’ll look like once rebuilt. Mexico Beach was pretty undeveloped (by Gulf coast standards) and now that they have a clean slate, will it remain the way it was before or go the way of Seaside or Destin? I hope not the latter.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't know if true, but apparently most of the homes destroyed were older and not up to code. In fact, almost all of the remaining structures are.

It's worth it to build well. It is cheaper in the long run.

11. Savage Orange

Like they say... buy quality and only cry once...

12. Savage Orange

That wouldn’t surprise me at all. Some of the ramshackle huts I’ve seen on my many trips to the Gulf coast didn’t look like they’d survive a thunderstorm much less a hurricane.... the owners of those places probably have lived there forever and never updated anything. I wonder how many will be able to rebuild and stay there?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are pictures of homes with the roof and walls blown down but the refrigerator standing upright. Like the house wasn't even nailed together right.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Also takes a whoooole lot more time to repair underground problems

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Underground power lines are great when all you have to worry about is 'naders

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My house was built in the early 70s, and is a tank. There was a period in the 80s where construction went to shit, then mid 90s after Andrew, it's better than ever

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Jesus

19. Savage Orange

It looks like those colorized videos of Tokyo after a B-29 raid... total destruction.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pressure does crazy things