Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Big win for the USA women. This game was built up a lot, so hopefully they don't have a letdown against England.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Every time I watch the women, it's notable how they benefit from a talent advantage because their coaching is awful. They are the team with the most depth and played a tough game in the 1st round against Spain in 90 degree heat. So, of course she plays the exact same lineup and watches her dead ass tired team hang on by a thread in the quarters.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And this is why the world will catch up and run by us eventually.

4. Unimane

Haiti winning and the scenes in Port au Prince are what makes these tournaments so much fun. I remember being in Peru when they beat Brazil in the 2016 Copa America and how the people flooded the streets to celebrate, which was awesome to be in the middle of it.

And, ugh, Mexico. They always seem to win the shootouts in the Gold Cup.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Choke for the ages from Canada. Looked like my rec league team

IP likes this.
  6. JohnnyQuickkick

If this Curaçao squad can keep finding Dutch players they might be an annoyance in the coming years

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Personally, I think it is utter bullshit.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That header from Zardes may be the worst I've ever seen from a professional

9. NorrisAlan

But he made up for it by booting a pulisic ball ten feet over the bar from 8 feet.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He looked like he was clearing the ball as a defender

NorrisAlan likes this.
  11. JohnnyQuickkick

It’s done all over. Just not sure there are many teams building their whole roster like that

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So everyone finds out that Megan Rapinoe is not starting today and completely freaks out about it.

Then, 10 minutes into the game, the woman who started in her place, Christen Press, scores the first goal.

It gave me a good laugh.

13. Unimane

Ellis is the luckiest dumbass coach I've ever seen. She has the #1 team and plays the 2nd half on their heels, inviting attack after attack, for the second straight game. Both times bailed out by the skin of their teeth.

VolDad likes this.
  14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Bailed out by a toe

[​IMG]

15. Unimane

Yep, and 10 minutes of dribbling to the corner? The second half was so gutless, I almost started rooting for the English. It's one thing if you aren't as talented. I understand then. But, the US played scared to lose and that shit drives me crazy.

NashVol11 and NorrisAlan like this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I question the way the rule is written now that they use video replay. I guarantee this wouldn't be called by a human 9 out of 10 times. there should have to be space. for a ball to be put of bounds it must be past the line. goal? past the line. offside? a toe will do!

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hate this, in any sport.

18. NorrisAlan

Made me want to strangle Fulmer and Chavis.

tvolsfan likes this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

part of soccer I always thought was ridiculous. Finally some movement, offense and cutting, but the defender just has to step up real quick for a bogus offsides penalty, instead of playing defense. Its a bailout play

20. NorrisAlan

No, it's smart defensive play, no different than drawing bogus pass interference plays, or other such "nonsense".

Rule is there to protect the flow of the game and it has to be there. At that level, offside traps really shouldn't work anyway.

NashVol11 likes this.