States refusing Syrian refugees? Pffffft.....

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Savage Orange, Nov 16, 2015.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Hell just let them all in.

Turning them away might offend someone.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Good point.

Should they be offended by that tho.

"We don't want you here but we ll take you so your not offended"

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The government, actually, has an excellent track record with refugees and it's entirely based upon fear, I don't know where one could say it with any sort of rationality that it's not. I've noted, at great lengths, in this thread how the process works for refugees and the results of those processes. So, yes, it's based upon irrational fear because, if one knows or bothers to understand the situation, they wouldn't possess these xenophobic attitudes.

4. Unimane

We don't just let anyone in. It just doesn't happen. We are, comparatively speaking to other countries, really, really stingy in who we are taking in from these refugees.

As I said, though, when a dude shoots up an abortion clinic in Colorado, he is a crazed gunmen, but this dude shooting up people in California, then people of his entire background are held suspect. I'm wondering when other countries are going to start prohibiting Americans from coming to their shore, since they also have schools, businesses, etc. that they don't want someone shooting up and how can they take a chance on allowing the wrong American into their country to commit these murders?

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

what in the hell? This isn't about the refugees and it's stupid to pretend that the financial argument is without basis. I don't care how the process works. It doesn't change the math. It was successful long before we began paying for immigrants to transfer vagrancy to the US.

The xenophobia comment was about the terrorists in CA. There is nothing remotely irrational about not wanting either here. It's full blown irrational to pretend that today is the same as yesterday regarding those we're importing.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

For the record - I'm leery of backwoods crazed lunatics too. I'm all for keeping an eye on them.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

hold both suspect, I don't care. Pretending that the lip service we pay to background checks in immigrants or refugees is silly. The loopholes that allow temporary entry, after which the tracking fails to exist, are everywhere and abused constantly.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

exactly. I don't want to pay for them any more than I do the immigrant either.

9. CardinalVol

I'm equal opportunity in my leeriness of potential nutjobs.

10. Unimane

The xenophobia comment you were responding to was about Syrian refugees as is the subject of this thread. Why wouldn't I think you were referencing them? You keep characterizing the refugees as some kind of leeches, which I noted and demonstrated was a completely false narrative. Not wanting refugees here isn't based upon rational ideas, it's based upon fear and/or prejudices. I'd feel a little better if you or whomever would just be honest about not liking that group of people for being who they are and not try to sell me some line of bullshit about it being some kind of rational idea to not allow these people to come here if they meet our standards for emigration.

11. Unimane

So, how are we holding both "groups" suspect? Because, it sounds nice, but it doesn't mean anything when, on one hand, we lump the crazy people of one group with all the people of that group as suspect, but hold the crazy people of another group as somehow separate and distinct from all others in that group.

12. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

There's a rational basis for that fear as there are legitimate threats and risks associated. That's why I don't believe xenophobia is the correct term here.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I was delivering Christmas trees for our local cub scout den yesterday (our annual fundraiser), and ended up on some road off of Byrams Fork Road south of Andersonville. Started getting a little scared with all the Rebel Flags flying everywhere.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Not really. There are millions and millions across the world that wont get a stiff at better.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm from Miami, I don't trust anyone.

16. CardinalVol

You would catch me walking through Orange Mound at night dressed in a Klan robe carrying a rebel flag before you would catch me back in some of the backwood areas of Blount, Sevier or Cocke county after sunset. Heck no.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm for taking all manners of immigrants...just as soon as every American is housed, fed, clothed, educated and cared for.

And not a moment before.

Does that make me xenophobic?

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Racist

19. Unimane

Not if you're fine with taking immigrants and not restricting them based upon their identities and background.

As for all Americans being fed, clothed, etc., are you under the impression that we can't, or just don't? I can assure you that the former is not true.

20. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

So much for the Women not being terrorist point of view.