Talk nerdy to me

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Oct 11, 2016.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Herbert! Herbert! Herbert! Herbert!

2. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

I say we all move to Risa.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So my daughter points at a port-o-let this morning and says, "Look! There's a TURDIS."

4. fl0at_

I have never seen a Dr. Who episode. I was going to correct that, and then Netflix pulled all the episodes.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It can get silly a lot. Amazon Prime had most of the reboot series last I checked.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I watched the first episode of that and it was insanely awful.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's nothing to be taken seriously.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm struggling to comprehend how anyone could find it entertaining. The plot was dumb, acting awful, no real suspense, and the production value makes that Hercules show from the 90s look like the Matrix.

9. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I love and embrace the quirky mess that it is. But then I'm a complete nerd/geek/dork.

10. fl0at_

Should it be watched from the beginning, to be appreciated thoroughly.

11. gcbvol

It's really not necessary, but I would recommend starting at the first season of a new Doctor. David Tennant and Matt Smith were both outstanding, imo.

12. gcbvol

BTW, Float, have you watched either of the Dune films yet?

13. fl0at_

I have not. It will be done.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I liked Eccleston a lot. It took him a few episodes to mesh with Piper, and then he was gone. The show really hit its stride with Tennant. I disliked the Matt Smith run while the Amy Pond character was the companion, but really liked his run with Jenna Coleman as the companion. Capaldi has been okay, but this next companion will tell his tale.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

15. gcbvol

Agree, War. Eccleston was great, too. I like Capaldi but he has some catching up to do with the previous 3.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Break it down for me. Why should I watch another episode? Not trying to make fun. Legitimately don't get it. Is it funny? Action? Suspense? Some deep mysteries and plotlines that continue throughout the season(s)?

17. gcbvol

I'm not sure I can do a good job of selling it, Kpt. I suppose it is a bit of an escape for me. I find it to be funny and suspenseful, though not always within the same episode. Typically there are seasonal plotlines, however not addressed in every episode.

It all just clicks for me. I get that it's not a can't miss show for a wide audience but the geek in me loves it. I like the characters and the quirky nature of the Doctor. I actually think the acting is strong from the primaries - the Doctor is a very eccentric character which can lead to a perception of bad acting; I do not believe it is, at least not with the last 3-4 actors.

Honestly, the show runs the gamut. Some episodes are just goofy fun, others are very suspenseful and some are very sad. It's a bit of an acquired taste, but once it pulls you in...

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It really is hard to explain how the show is appealing. A good deal of it is plain silly, but after watching it a bit, I didn't really care about the plot being ludicrous at times because I was just interested in how the characters would get it sorted all out in the end. It borderlines on childish fantasy at times, but serves as an outlet for escape from reality.

I agree with it being well acted, except I found myself wishing Karen Gillan would just shut up at times. I never quite got a taste for the Amy Pond, and I'm not sure if it was the acting or how the character was written.

19. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Tennant and Smith I don't think can be surpassed by Capaldi.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've never really understood the love for Smith. He was okay in my eyes, but he's not leaps and bounds better than Capaldi and a tier below Tennant and Eccleston. Part of it was the pairing of the Doctor with the Ponds. Oh, and River Song. I didn't like River Song either. Maybe there were just too many annoying women during the Smith tenure.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk