Talk nerdy to me

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Oct 11, 2016.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Going to be funny here in a few years when President Baron Trump is pinning a medal on some geeky pervert for inventing a flawless sexbot and dealing a crushing blow to human trafficking.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Westworld. I'll go with the main hooker from the bar. Little country one seems a little psycho

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Are we seeing the beginning of the end of Facebook? It could be like IBM and taken them another 50 years to die, but they've been raked through the coals over the last 6 months. With Instagram (I know its facebook owned) and twitter, is the concept of posting on a wall even necessary any more in this day and age of social media?

Disclaimer: I have no facebook or instagram account and only lurk on twitter.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Anything like Facebook I would be warry of investing in long term, anyway. Once the public starts getting tired of it, a tipping point can hit very quickly and boom, your entire clientele are gone.

5. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Facebook isn't about writing on a wall anymore. The groups, IM features, and free, direct advertising/contact with companies/individuals/entities is its larger focus now.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I can see the group draw and I guess people use the messenger app instead of text messaging for some reason, but the last, part advertising and contact with companies, people, etc. to me is seemingly be better accommodated via twitter for both consumers and advertisers. I guess my question is will people continue using the platform in the future. I believe daily active users have been declining for the last few quarters, especially among the younger demographic, but I don't have a link handy to verify. I think in its present state Facebook will slowly bleed to death. IBM has been slowly dying for decades, Oracle products blow but they're still around, maybe Facebook will be one of those entities or maybe they'll find another snapchat to copy to re-invigorate their user base.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Wife is now using a PCoIP setup at work.

When did we go back to central servers and terminals?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some universities have made a push to move to this to reduce hardware costs, by virtually accessing computers capable of using various demanding applications or tools rather than having to maintain many powerful computers all over campus.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Pepsi is an internet service provider?

10. fl0at_

Software like PDQ Deploy and just regular group policy manages computers all over any network.

Thin clients with a central NAS like storage is cheap enough, and ages better.

I don’t think the cost savings is that much better.

11. NorrisAlan

We are using virtual PC's and have for a while. The mainframe has made a come back.

12. fl0at_

Because it looked cool, or what?

Isn’t it a ton of work for the help desk guys, having a bunch of little custom settings for everyone who wants to “save to their desktop,” and for the handful of special cases that need more ram and processor allocation than the general pool?

13. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Why not just move all the damn apps to the cloud and be done with it?

14. fl0at_

“The cloud” is just a network server offsite.

The biggest hinderance to running OS and apps in a virtual server offsite is connection speed and downtime.

Run your VMs out of a data center in the north east and Comcast goes down, your entire workforce is down all day.

Norris’ loses a switch, he can run patch cable or just put in a new switch, and be back up.

Or just use normal desktops as the price isn’t high, and lose nothing.

15. NorrisAlan

We do not use them for office PC's, but only for lab PC's that are all identical.

16. fl0at_

See, that makes sense.

Her office PC is VM.

17. NorrisAlan

Only time I would see that working is if you are hot bunking office space

18. fl0at_

Maybe, if the other person only works every other month, and pushing updates would slow down...

Windows profiles aren’t big enough to need a virtual OS for even hot bunking office space.

Our entire night crew works on day crew hardware.

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Was just confronted by a captcha that wanted me to select every picture containing a bus. It would not be satisfied until I selected the picture with a Budweiser beer truck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe there's hope for humanity after all.

20. NorrisAlan

Great episode of the JRE with Brian Cox. They talk about a wide range of topics, but the one that intrigues me the most is the idea of meaning in the universe, and what that actually means.