Tenacious D: I was wrong.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 7, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd be monumentally disappointed with Butch regardless of Gruden's association. I think you may be referring to another issue, however, which I think would have come to a head eventually no matter what.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

That's the ironic part of this whole thing. If Hart really was concerned about losing power with Gruden here (which I believe), his subsequent actions in preventing the hire will lose him his job.

3. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Been trying to drink today, but I can't stop puking

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

In my opinion, once Cheek gave Hart $18M over three years - Hart had just enough to hire a coach without booster money, and he did just that.

And he's now gambling that between the $18M and the SEC Network money (which is expected in a couple of years) that they can maintain 80-90% of last year's revenue levels, abysmal as they were. Which is great in theory, but a couple of things he either hasn't fully considered, if even at all:

1. Butch Jones has about as small of a cushion as you can imagine. He's going to be largely excused for next year's honeymoon season, which looks to be somewhere between 4-6 wins, but that still isn't going to put fannies in the seat for the mid / late-season stretch. If we have learned anything, it's that Tennessee fans will no longer pack the stadium for even a mediocre team (much less one with a losing record), and that won't largely change if Vince Lombardi was coaching the Vols against the ACLU. Simply, Butch jones must - MUST - not only do something to build a sense of confidence and enthusiasm, but very early, if they're going to maintain even last season's attendance figures. If not, and those figures drop, the UTAD will open a budgetary leak that may only get worse, as the season progresses, and attendance continues to fall.

2. The lifeboat which several of the biggest boosters typically ride in is gone, and won't be there to save him, short of keeping the program solvent. Maybe there are enough mid-tier guys to do so, but even that is an infinitely greater struggle - and it isn't like they are exactly pleased right now, either. That leaves the common fan to shoulder whatever gap might then exist - and you've spent the last 10 years or so doing all you can to alienate and marginalized their importance, so good luck there. People are already refusing to spend Top 10 prices on a Top 50 team....imagine how many more sales you'll make when asking them to pay Top 5 prices for a Top 75 team. Good luck with that.

3. I don't believe that Hart will be around very long to have to sleep in the bed he's made (total guess) - but between the hire itself, and the $2M per year left on contract buyout clause (in a 6 year contract, no less) he's all but guaranteeing us to be locked into Jones for a minimum of 4 years. But again, that won't be his problem to worry about, IMO.

The Tennessee fan base has loyally held on through the toughest of times in the program's history - we've suffered every sort of athletic and academic calamity one could imagine - and if Jones doesn't inspire quickly and win both shortly and consistently thereafter, he's just heaped another five years of shit on our heads.

If this jaunt into obscurity lasts for 15+ years, we've not only lost a large swath of the current fanbase, but we'll lose subsequent generations as well. Case in point: if the student's aren't going to the games now (they aren't), what are the chances that they return and buy season tickets, later?

And when you lose the current and next generation of fans is where you are dangerously close to finding yourself in that purgatory that programs never really, or fully, recover from.

I don't want to sound like Chicken Little, by any means, but this is an incredibly important - pivotal, even - moment in our programs storied history. And the dangers are both real, and looming.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Said it all day. Financial disaster. Cheek's move to hand back money was in response to the booster hammer. Spiral is going to be ugly. A couple won't spend any more for Cheek or Hart. They have to leave to even begin again for some.

6. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

We have to sleep in the bed that Hart made and it really pisses me off. I'm trying to be optomistic, I really am, but **** this sh!t.

7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Tenny - you have summarized perfectly why this was such a pivotal juncture for the program, and why many of us were physically sickened today. Unfortunately, many just don't get the fact that Tennessee football could be irrevocably damaged. I'm not saying it will be, but if Butch Jones is an abject failure the possibility exists.

I also think that buyout was a colossal **** you by Hart - a despicable act by a tiny man. Strictly my opinion.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

9. daxvolfan

daxvolfan New Member

I personally never thought we would get Gruden but I sure was hoping he would come.

I'd really like to know the whole truth from beginning to end but I don't think we will get that either.

I like this board and hope to continue visiting in the future.

Thanks TD for giving us a glimpse of the inside. Sorry you were wrong but can't say I'm surprised.

I also echo your sentiments about hoping our new coach is successful. We really need that to happen to keep from slipping into the abyss of college football.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Unless Butch Jones quickly learns to coach at a completely different level, I'm afraid that that moment just passed. And apparently one guy who could have saved it was ignored.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think we're completely screwed for a long, long time. jmo

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

We're paddling in the same boat.

13. wpg3ut

wpg3ut Member

sad, sad day for the Tennessee Volunteers.

14. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I appreciate your insight and your honesty. You may have been ultimately wrong(I don't really want to use this word), but you've handled yourself with the utmost class and respected all who you've encountered on this site. I applaud you and sincerely thank you for all the insight you've provided to us.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Tenny I think you nailed the 18 mil coming from Cheek. I said as much today in a conversation with a member here.

While we thought that $ was going toward the reserve or the big hire that was in place, it was actually Cheek giving Hart the chance to stiff arm the boosters and do what he wanted.

Hart was stuck having to deal with the boosters until Cheek came along with enough $ to get him through the first years of the hire.

If UT is to fix things it will have to start with Cheek and then Hart.

16. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

You paint an eloquent and accurate picture. I agree 100%. I wonder what the big money boosters, who have poured more resources into this program than most of us combined, are thinking right now. How hurt are they that their program is where it is.

17. Tenny, you think hargis takes this public?

18. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

Just spitballin' here, but I've been trying to think of a way to publicly show Cheek and Hart that we the fanbase have had enough shit from them, but that would also still show a level of support to the team. This would never happen, but everyone, EVERYONE that truly loves UT football should show up for the first home game next year. Not the game itself, but the pregame atmosphere. Take in the Vol Walk. Tailgate with friend and foe alike. Spend money in the local bars and restaurants.

But never enter the stadium.

I'm an idiot.

[​IMG]

19. DHershman

DHershman New Member

This is not on you. I thank you for keeping me in this when I knew that we had major issues to live down... Regardless what anyone says you continued to give hope in a program that was for the most part hopeless!!! I feel you gave us hope in our darkest hour and will continue to be there for the fans that are less hopeful!!! Understand that true fans had your back and **** everyone less... For one you gave me reason to believe that maybe we can restore our program to the level it should be!!!! Go VOLS and GO TENNY thanks for thanks for the ride!!!!!!!!

20. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I love the idea, it's great.

Reality time though.... Go try to sell that on toos, because that's the majority of the fan base.