Tennessee Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 17, 2017.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Agreed. The whole "part of the family" thing is dumb as hell. That's how UNC basketball ended up with Matt Doherty as head coach, they needed someone from the "Carolina Family."

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

NFL is much harder.

But he'll wait for an NFL job.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

1. He prefers "NYYVol", thank you.
    2. I believe that would DQ you from consideration, were you arrested for it.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Much, much harder. That's why it'll likely take someone from NFL to consistently challenge Saban - and even that's X's & O's, and says nothing about equaling his recruiting, and which would really only come from beating him, or coming damned close to it.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

different ballgame. Saban, Spurrier, Monte Kiffin and others can attest, and I can't think of too many nfl coaches that have dropped down to college and been successful, yet guys like Dooley and others find homes as position coaches pretty easily.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Monte was doing pretty well here before all his starters went to hell against McCluster. I think a young Monte Kiffin could come to college and do just fine. He's just old as hell now.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

maybe, but he didn't know how to defend the dual threat qb and tampa 2 gets lit up in the college game with qb mobility

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That depends on who you ask. The majority of NFL coaches will tell you there's no way they recruit 24/7 and deal with stupid teenagers. The majority of college coaches tell you there's no way they deal with millionaires and their egos.

I don't know if one is necessarily harder than the other, but it takes two different approaches

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This is the exact order I would contact people, stretching limits to the very end of realism (i.e. - we're not getting Belicheck, Saban, etc.)

1a. Dabo
    1b. Gruden
    1c. Stoops

I would contact all three at once and see if there is any interest at all. Honestly, I'd have already contacted them.

2. Feuente
    3. Taggart
    4. Patterson
    5. Mullen

Assuming we get to level 3 -

5. Chryst
    6. Rhule
    7. Brohm
    8. Wilson
    9. Canada

10. nomojo

nomojo Member

What other type of behavior could we expect from a Jim Bob Cooter? He's living up to the name.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Hiring Dabo, then losing him after one season to Alabama is a pretty Tennessee-esque scenario.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I could see this happening. But why would he leave Clemson to come here? I guess reach out to him, but he has it rolling there.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And unless he has continued down that path as an adult, I doubt it is a big deal. He was a kid when that happened.

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

He wouldn't. Its Bama for him.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What do you base the dual threat thing on? His division at Tampa Bay was with the Falcons, Cowboys, and Saints. Those guys had plenty of dual threat QBs, including one of the best ever.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Vick's worst games came against Tampa Bay

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Belicheck seems insane. I'd probably spend 60 seconds (and only that much) to call him. He just might be crazy enough to say yes.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I doubt he's even doing that.

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I like your list. I don't see any chance at Dabo so I'd throw Kelly in there and I'd probably rearrange 2-5 a bit.

I would also have Fleck and Frost somewhere in that bottom list.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Panthers, not cowboys.