Tennessee Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 17, 2017.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

[​IMG]

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You took Counzo, now we take your football coach

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sounds fair.

7. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

Fair point.

But since I don't think any guy from the West would jump ship to the East (and still be stuck with playing Saban every year), that eliminates 6 guys from the wish list.

8. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

thanks for articulating that in just the way I wanted to previously...

Find somebody who can coach all 3 phases effectively and the East is yours for the taking.

9. Didn't Lyle lose to dooley?

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes

11. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

It's not that hard. Put every bit of stock into the Gruden/Kelly basket. I don't think the Gruden connection is a certainty this time, but it's still worth the push, obviously. If you miss out on Kelly, it's a double whammy. He'll end up at A&M or Florida and proceed to whip Tennessee for the duration of his tenure.

After these two - Stoops is the only other option. If all of this fails, shut it down.

12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I believe the Gruden ship has sailed but I suppose youbstill make him tell you no. To say I'm not confident in our ability to execute a top notch hire would be a monumental understatement.

13. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I'm with you. Hes without a doubt the top choice. But unless the big money people all decide to put their egos aside and work through this thing together, I don't think we're able to get him or a big name such as Stoops or Kelly. If this thing is all about what big Jim wants, big Jim gets, I think we're either going to be wishing they'll shut the thing down, or we're gonna be waiting a long time before something good can happen.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd say Mizzou fires their idiot late this season. We have an extensive search, and when it's time to really interview candidates Beverly Davenport insists on "helping". That pretty much ensures a ton of "no's". As the fan base gets a little nervous we end up hiring the guy everyone thought was a lock to Mizzou. He'll be terrible, actually inferior to their fallback plan. Currie immediately begins looking to take another job.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Unfortunately, I see this same scenario coming through. And if so, **** em, they get what they deserve.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Davenport will stay in her lane and be a rubber stamp.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I hope so. There is no reason for her to be involved.

18. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

If our interviews overlap with Missouri's interviews, we've ****ed up badly again.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They overlapped with Colorado and Kentucky last time.

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I know.

That's was actually an improvement over the time before, though, so we are directionally correct.