The All-Encompassing Offensive Formation Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 23, 2012.

?

Do you like the spread?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Meh

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. No

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  1. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

perhaps the better question is whether the increasing tempo in the game is a good thing.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oregon does it 11 games a year. Nothing works all the time for everyone.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Again, notging says you have to increase tempo in a spread. You just can more easily.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They don't play ball control, they pound their chest on how they score in one or two minutes.

They get teams in a footrace and wear them out, which is the exact opposite of what SEC teams do.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Not being a football "x and o" guru, it would seem that teams like Florida under Urban Meyer focused more on beating you formationally while teams like Oregon don't do anything special with formations; instead, they just try to kill you with tempo.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dooley or maybe Chaney mentioned how they wanted the tempo of the offense to speed up.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That may be true, but we are not going to be a "spread" team under the normal definition. It's clear that they're trying to run the ball more out of traditional formations.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

To Meyer's credit, he was able to create an offense and find the perfect centerpiece for it. He could run the same type of run plays Bama runs except he had a 235 lb QB that could throw it instead of having to hand it off. It was coaching genius when he had Tebow. With Brantley, it looked like dog shit.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It does seem we're going to take a Oregon-type approach to this year based on what they have said.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I meant wins with the spread.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hope so because the OL are athletic enough to get out in front on toss sweeps and look to be physically able to move guys out of the trenches now.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am just pointing out that they do not have to go hand in hand, in the spread hate thread. Two separate conversations imo

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think you'll definitely see quite a few 3 wide out sets in order to get our best players on the field, but I would be shocked if we were shotgun every play.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I understand, just saying that's where the uptempo talks come from, not necessarily saying Tennessee is going to be a spread, just that coaches want a quicker tempo.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think it's going to end up being 75% shotgun imo iyam jmo

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if you have the offensive line to do that. and those type of lineman (and the oline coach to get them there) are about as rare as an nfl qb. RBs are a dime a dozen. you also need a dominant defense if you are willing to risk not have a passing game, but that is something tenn should be able to have really.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Meyer also had guys named Spikes and James and Dunlap and Haden who helped out tremendously on the other side of the ball.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

part of me is still convinced that once people adapt to oregon's offense it's going to be a lot less effective. every time they play a team with a decent front 7 they ahve problems and the sec is filled with teams like that. in the pac-12 Cal and MAYBE SC are the only decent front 7s in the entire conference.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes and a hell of a DC too. His offense would cause me to break things though.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Those DL are the rarest commodities in college football though.

I did like watching Burfict knock Oregon's guard about 4 yards backwards into running play a few years ago.