The All-Encompassing Offensive Formation Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 23, 2012.

?

Do you like the spread?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Meh

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. No

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I would rather line up an offense like Alabama, just with an elite passer running the show.

However, if we tried to line up and play smashmouth, ball control offense I doubt we would move the ball on Akron.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

bama runs a pistol/spread style offense. i wouldn't call it pro style.

3. chavisut

Last year was the first time I remember them really running the pistol.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, now you've done it. NOW YOU'VE DONE IT.

This thread is clearly not about reality, but rather perception. People like the style of football they grew up with.

5. chavisut

I doubt there are many teams that don't spread out in the shotgun at some point during a game. For the most part I would still classify Bama as a pro style team.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because you say that a spread team can't run it down your throat. Unless they're Florida. Or Oregon playing anyone but Cal, USC, or Auburn. Or... You know. Any other situation where that isn't true.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oregon is also a PA-based offense that has put up huge rushing yards over the last few years.

8. chavisut

I never said that. Watch some Bama highlights from last year if your stomach can't handle it, McCarron is up under center as often as he's not. At least much more than UF, Oregon, Auburn, etc.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Oregon doesn't run it down people's throats. They run it around your throat.

They rely on confusion and beating people with speed to the outside. It's either a big play or nothing.

Bama, LSU, USC to an extent, USCe with Lattimore, Stanford for the most part and Wisconsin run directly at you and said "You can't stop us even though you're trying". It lends itself to being a consistently better offense that isn't going to get bogged down by one or two DL. You've seen Oregon get slowed down time and time again when facing a defense with a talented front seven.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The only team that has attempted to run power football out of the spread was Florida with Tebow. Everybody else has used misdirection, option, speed, and a dual-threat QB.

I suppose one could argue Nebraska is trying to reach a balance of power football in their version of it, but not fully like the Osborne days.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You just gave me flashbacks of Ahman Green.

Were we actually trying to tackle Ahman Green?

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They stopped about halfway through the first quarter I think

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

[MENTION=12]IPorange[/MENTION], I am not slamming the spread. I just don't like it. It's not just a sling it offense. What it does do is create blocking angles and thin spots in the defense to exploit. Nothing wrong with that. In fact it's smart. I just prefer the pro set that doesn't rely on as much slight of hand and manipulation as the spread. I don't classify the true spread as a sling it everywhere offense. People confuse having 4-5 wides and slinging it every play as a spread. 4-5 wide sets designed to throw is called the Run-N-Shoot (Fun-N-Gun). People get the spread and Run-N-Shoot confused I think. They have similar formations with different purposes. Run-N-Shoot is spread the D out and throw the hell out of it most of the time. The Spread is spread it out so you can run the hell out of it and throw when needed. Hell, the spread is a cousin of the wishbone that has been revamped for modern times. Look at the base running plays: 1. QB lead (modern belly) 2. QB counter (modern cross buck) 3. QB option (same principles of triple option but uses a RB for dive and a WR for pitch).

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

How about the veer?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agree fully.

16. CardinalVol

Given as that we're going to sling it this year and utilize a tight end (which the run and shoot typically doesn't), how would you characterize this offense?

It's not a pro style.

It's not a spread as how you described it.

It's not the run and shoot.

What is it?

What is also really ironic is how much I love the T but loathe the wing-t. Go figure.

And let's talk REAL power football - the Smokestack I!!!!!

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

West coast?

It isnt like every offense fits in a box

18. CardinalVol

What I love most about us playing Nebraska was that out gameplan was to play the backers about 4-6 yards off the football to account for the option. So once the Nebraska o-line destroyed our tackles- the linemen and fullback had a head of steam before they got to the backers.

I'd honestly like to watch the 97 Orange Bowl over again just to laugh at our defensive gameplan again.

19. CardinalVol

West Coast is ball control by short passes.

It may not come out of a box, but I can't even tell you what it is related to.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is some weird bastard child of the Fun n Gun and a two TE balanced kind of offense.

Tennessee has a QB that looks for the deep ball first and an OC that likes to dink and dunk down the field.