The Country Music Thread, 8th Style...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanbill, Sep 1, 2011.

1. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I think my favorite just may be Carried Away, even if that sounds cheesy. Others in the discussion would be Cowboy Rides Away, Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind, You Look So Good In Love, It Ain't Cool (To Be Crazy About You) and The Chill of An Early Fall.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Baby's gotten good at goodbye is the winner imo iyam jmo

3. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

that along with "Baby Blue" probably should have made my list...

4. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Eric Church is good too.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You Look So Good in Love is the second saddest country love song after Jolene.

6. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

If you ever actually pay attention to the lyrics and everything from Glen Campbell's Galveston, I'd argue it for the saddest.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Better Off In A Pine Box, He Stopped Loving Her Today, and Mama Tried all think your statement is balderdash.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

It certainly makes the discussion.

9. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Your list is solid. Doug Stone's Better Off In A Pine Box is way up there. Huge fan of the other two as well. Can't discredit volfanjo's suggestions. Dolly's version of "Jolene" is a heartbreaker.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He Stopped Loving her Today disagrees with both of these,

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

George Jones said he didn't want to record the song because it was too damn sad. You can get no sadder than this -

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sing me back home should be in the running

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Great song. Not a song I would classify as sad per se.

He Stopped Loving Her Today is not a favorite of mine and yes, I realize it tops all the critics charts for greatest of all time. Sidenote: George Jones' former drummer is a Knoxvillian and good guy with some awesome stories.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not a very big Eric Church fan, but Ride the Lightning is a great sad song

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Remember that 90s legend Collin Raye? Little Rock is pretty sad. Not all time sad, but it gets ya a little bit.

16. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

some songs I think deserve honorable mention and the list might get a little long:

Willie Nelson: "Always On My Mind"
    David Ball: "When The Thought of You Catches Up With Me"
    Diamond Rio: "Your Gone"
    Collin Raye: "Little Rock"
    Gary Allan: "Today" and (yes, it's a cover) "Best I Ever Had"
    Sammy Kershaw: "I Saw You Today, "Politics, Religion and Her", "Same Place" and "For Years" (note, all four came from the same album and I think only Politics was released as a single. It is probably the most underrated album of all time imo)
    John Michael Montgomery- "I Miss You a Little" and "The Little Girl"
    Tracy Lawrence- "Paint Me A Birmingham"
    Sawyer Brown- "The Walk"
    Alan Jackson- "Monday Morning Church"
    Garth- "The Dance" (maybe overplayed, but it's a sad one) and "When You Come Back To Me Again"

and finally the one I'll get ripped for. I can't stand Rascal Flatts. Absolutely consider them an embarassment, but "Skin" is a tearjerker. I had about five people close to me go through some sort of cancer fight during a three year span or so and this song just moved me.

17. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

George Strait is my favorite. All of the George Strait stuff from the 90's is great. I relate to country music better than anything. I think most people who grew up in Tennessee would tell you the same. For that matter, for my money, country music today is not anywhere near the level that it was in the 90's.

18. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

[video=youtube;SguoxSea4qQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SguoxSea4qQ[/video]

His best,imo

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Diamond Rio "You're Gone".

Well played volfanbill.

20. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

-Cant argue with 'He Stopped Loving Her Today.'
    -Dwight Yoakam is the best singer of sad songs.
    -A little more recent, Hwy 20 Ride was absolutely gut-wrenching for me as a father of small children.