The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Having guns isn’t important, as they were lawfully possessing them at the time. They had as much right to be standing there with guns as the victim had to be running down the road.

I’m not sure how you know that they pointed the guns at him, and before he attacked. The video certainly doesn’t show that. Maybe there is an eyewitness that I don’t know about - I hope there is - but if all you have are the two guys carrying guns, they’re unlikely to admit that. Highly unlikely.

2. Tenacious D

It won’t be, IMO.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Biggest problem DA is going to have is that there is nothing outside of the video on their side, and is that enough. By what we know, David French says GA law says this is murder, but that's just one man's opinion, albeit one that knows this better than I do.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It's unfortunate that the only reason they were arrested and charged is because the video went viral.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Forgot to add that he mentioned the former officer has a LOT of dirt on a lot of the corrupt people in power in that area, so a lot of those people are nervous about all this.

6. CardinalVol

That's when you do what was (allegedly) done to the City Treasurer in my hometown when financial fraud was discovered - wait until he's under his truck working on some stuff and yank the jack out from it.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  7. Tenacious D

So...”Clinton’d”

8. CardinalVol

It was in the mid 90s.............................

Tenacious D likes this.
  9. Tenacious D

I don’t think they’ve been arrested because they knew they didn’t have enough.

I also fear that their recent arrest is not indicative of their having more than they did, but just to pacify a growing throng who want something done...but have the luxury of not being the ones burdened to actually prove and convict them.

I’m not trying to be a [penis]. I’m not saying I like or agree with these guys getting off, but I am saying that it’s probably more likely that they will, than not.

kmf600 likes this.
  10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Actually, it sounds like two good ol boys who used to be a cop and an investigator in the DA's office had their case brushed under the rug by a corrupt local government as the reason they weren't arrested.

warhammer and The Dooz like this.
  11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I agree, the only thing I know about this is the video IP posted. It's pretty damning video, and going just by what I saw, theses guys killed that kid. But i have also seen so many times videos edited to show what someone wants us to see. It's hard to believe, but i know not impossible to happen, that an investigator would see that and not immediately lock these dudes up.

These guys were, in my opinion, arrested because of politics and not justice.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Think about what would have happened if the guy recording, deleted it.

13. Tenacious D

I’ll just leave this here, without comment.

Who took the video, and why were they filming?

14. Ssmiff

The 3rd guy, i reckon. They were pinning the victim in to confront him, im guessing

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Reports I've read have suggested the guy recording was with the alleged murderers.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think the opposite. The politics kept them from being arrested and public outcry created the justice. I don't know if anyone could read the memo and not realize there was something shady going on within this case.

I get what you are saying, as, for example, the case of Rodney King had the news show a shortened version of the beating from what the jury saw. But, this video was from a guy with the accused men and seems pretty straight forward. The universal revulsion to it suggests, to me, the defense is going to have a hard time convincing a jury of their innocence. There are tons of people in prison on less than what these two guys have presented against them.

kmf600 likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

I wonder when that recording came into play. If it was one of the white trash crew, surely he didnt stroll into the police station with it as evidence.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Late getting in on this, but I was always taught you better not pull out a gun if you’re not prepared to use it. There’s not a lot of difference in pulling one out and pointing it at me, at least in my mind. There’s no business at all for people to do what these dudes did. Idk if it’s inherently racist because Idk what’s in someone’s mind, but it’s a pretty damn redneck thing to do.

justingroves likes this.
  19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Who called the cops?

In my mind it was the gunmen, and it was immediately preceded by the shooter saying, "Shit yeah, he's dead. Call the cops so they can give us our medals!"

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If they hadn’t made the initial call to the police, and then actively armed themselves and left the home to follow the victim.

If they hadn’t harassed a man on foot, who has no idea who they are, shouting at him from a moving vehicle commanding him to stop.

If they hadn’t continued to pursue him, after his effort to evade them.

If they hadn’t blocked him, instigating a confrontation.

If they hadn’t gotten out of the vehicle to confront him.

If they’d not done each of those things leading up to the altercation, I’d be open to the position of “open carry, stand your ground.”

But they harassed, intimidated, instigated and initiated the conflict. Making several intentional decisions along the way that each contributed to the eventual physical escalation.

I don’t see how a jury wouldn’t find them guilty of some level of criminal harassment or intimidation, and then the subsequent murder resulting from those actions.

CardinalVol and SetVol13 like this.