The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah this is mostly what I meant. I also wonder why he might not have darted off the road if he knew they were armed and harassing him. With all three in vehicles, it would have made it uncomfortable for them to follow at least.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I am interested in the level of communication, as well, but it's not in the completely unprofessional memo by the DA. I would think this would be an obvious detail to include in a summary of why he didn't charge them. I would wager a guess the reason it's not included in the report because they didn't communicate with the victim or the communication wouldn't be beneficial to the shooters.

warhammer likes this.
  3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Absolutely. I can tell you with no doubt in my mind that I would not run right at the guy with the gun.

Do we know anything about this guy's personality or how he grew up that would suggest he's the type of person to run at the guy with the gun?

Would you have run at the gun? My initial question was for everyone on this site. I'm trying to get a feel for who, if anyone, honestly feels they would run right at the person with the gun.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How does it assume that, at all?

I suggested the typical initial instinct when two guys roll up on you with guns would be to run away and hide somewhere (rather than run at one of them and attack him with your bare hands). I added that if he ran towards a house, it would (hopefully) make the men less likely to shoot at him, for fear of shooting into someone's house.

IP responded with a quote, which I'm assuming he was suggesting the two men would tell people after shooting the man dead when he ran onto someone else's property to hide. I can't know for certain if that's what IP was saying, so maybe he can clarify. But if I'm right, obviously he wouldn't know anything about break ins because 1. He didn't break into the home of the two men with guns and 2. IP's quote is from an imaginary hypothetical situation that never happened.

I'm not saying it didn't/wouldn't affect him. I'm 100% on board with the situation affecting him. I'm suggesting that it's weird to me that the situation's effect on him would cause him to run at the guy with a gun, rather than to run away from him.

Maybe it's just me being the village idiot, but your entire response makes very little sense to me, in the context of the conversation between IP and me.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Well, how far had the guy been running? Surely they have to know what his start point was, as it would have either been from his home or from another location, where he would have likely driven to, leaving a parked car.

Had he run far enough for it to be possible/likely for him to be in the sort of state you described?

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Perhaps I melded your response with 53's regarding the idea of him being innocent and, therefore, should just wait for the cops.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

yes, my quote was hypothetical.

8. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I've never been in a situation like that so I don't know how I would react. We can assume he saw the guns all we want but we don't know what he saw. The few situations I've been in that required me to act on instincts were a blur. I just reacted and it took me several minutes, even hours after the fact to break down what happened. So no, I don't think his reaction was an unnatural reaction for everyone.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

To answer your questions in order:

Depends
    Unless he was wearing a GPS watch or using an app on his phone or something, it's doubtful anyone knows exactly. Parked cars, his home, starting points in general don't mean as much you might think in this situation I imagine. You still have to answer how long had he been away from it? It might give you a minimum distance. In other words, without a text or something that says I'm leaving now and some other breadcrumbs there's no way to know.

Maybe
    I mean how healthy was he? Was he in shape? What kind of shape? There's no magic number for me. He might not even behave similarly. Mine is anecdotal evidence. It's possible he would be get jumpy running or maybe not. I imagine we all can reach that point through physical stress, but our bodies' responses to such can vary wildly. That's public health 101.

I'm not saying he behaved in that state. I'm just saying it's possible.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Lesson is, dont roll up with guns on setvol while hes on a walk or you may find yourself on defense and in hand to hand combat.

Personally, im zig zag running away like Almost did in Apacalypto

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Question I've not seen answered yet -

Why was someone filming this in the first place?

IP and SetVol13 like this.
  12. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I'm too slow and fat to run. Fighting may be my only option.

13. cpninja

cpninja Member

I saw someone say the dude filming was part of the wannabe cop posse but not sure if that's factual or not

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

DA's release seemed to indicate that to me.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I didnt say id be moving very well or that zig zagging was even intentional.

SetVol13 likes this.
  16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Adrenaline/fear makes you do some stupid things sometimes

Tenacious D and SetVol13 like this.
  17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not sure if either or both has been mentioned, but I read an article that stated one of them men is a former police officer. Also mentioned a shoplifting charge in the victim’s past.

18. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I'm thinking the dad was a former investigator at the DA's office. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If he is, [uck fay] him. He knew damn good and well what he was doing

Tenacious D likes this.
  20. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

This. It was a retired DA investigator and his son in the truck.