The Scourge of Voter Fraud

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Apr 1, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

But it could be brain science.

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Why even require people to register?

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I meant specific to voting. While we keep pretending that voter fraud is exceptionally rare, there is no prayer that voter fraud is rare.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

probably shouldn't. That's really demanding.

5. JayVols

Let's not then.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

exactly. Hell, why bother? Fraud has never happened.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Based on?

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yes, clearly the documented evidence that voter fraud is exceptionally rare is inferior to the zero information available that it isn't.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Rare in what context? Two votes of out 10 million. Or one election in 30?

10. JayVols

I really don't think it would be that difficult to do. Now getting folks to go along with it is a different story.

11. JayVols

It was kinda an attempt at sarcasm. :)

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

documented evidence is funny stuff. That implies people are trying to document or that people have enough access to document AND that the gov't has no vested interest in keeping evidence to a minimum.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the absolute fact that people can vote without an ID and there have been myriad cases of dead people voting.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

when iowa actually looked into it they found 20 cases in the most recent election. if no one is actually trying to stop it or find it how do we know it's exceptionally rare?

15. Unimane

A major political party has no interest in identifying fraudulent voting in areas in which they lose? Sorry, your reasoning just sounds like a rationalization for when the documentation doesn't jibe with the story you want to tell.

16. Unimane

20 potential cases, not necessarily fraud. I'll wager, at best, 5 of them produce anything and this has been the most comprehensive examination into the issue by a Republican bent on finding it anywhere he can. Nearly all those cases, as with other cases of "voter fraud", will found to mostly be clerical errors, released felons who didn't realize their voting rights weren't restored, people who didn't realize they weren't eligible or other similar types of problems. The numbers of people are so low that it doesn't make much sense anyway to try and fraudulently vote.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/372018/iowa-refers-80-cases-voter-fraud-prosecutors-john-fund#!

Iowa’s DCI wrapped up its investigation this month and has referred more than 80 cases of voter fraud to county attorneys for possible prosecution. Since the investigation was initiated by GOP Secretary of State Matt Schultz a year and a half ago, five people have pleaded guilty to voter fraud and 15 others are facing charges.

18. Unimane

So 5, like I said. And, also like I said, they were, basically, clerical errors or people not realizing they were ineligible to vote.

Keep in mind this was a rabid attempt by a right wing republican to find voter fraud and, out of 1,553,161 votes, there are 5 convictions, none of which were for intentional fraudulence. That's .003% of the voters in Iowa.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If one vote in every election was purposely fraudulent, would you call it rare?

Because I would call it rampant, but immaterial.

20. JayVols

According to droski's defense of Hobby Lobby's 401k fund, that number is low enough to not matter.