The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don't see it without major subsidies. it's always going to be cheaper to build traditional cars. or at least for the next couple of decades. testla needs to become twice as big as toyota within the next 5 years to justify this valuation.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i assume that's including luxury cars. you can buy a lexus is for the testla price point.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yea, that's why it's called the average.

I can buy a $500 used Saturn. That doesn't make the Corolla a luxury item.

The average American is buying cars at Tesla price point. In normal words, that means the Tesla is affordable for the average American.

IP likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

even if subsidies are required, they will probably get some given the incoming congress and administration.

I am not really speaking of Tesla. I do not think they are going to justify their evaluation. but other major manufacturers are coming out with more ev's. the electric Ford Mustang looks sweet, for example.

If anything, I am not bullish on Tesla precisely because they will no longer occupy a niche the way they used to. there will be other very cool 100% electric and affordable prices ev's, as soon as this year.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if testla is affordable to the average american why are it's sales 1/10th of toyota?

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Electric cars are cheap as hell to build, that’s their advantage.

The cost of the. battery isn’t cheap, but have you seen how fast they’ve been dropping?

2013: $650/kwh
    2014: $580/kwh
    2015: $370/kwh
    2016: $290/kwh
    2017: $214/kwh
    2018: $176:kwh
    2019: $156/kwh

IP likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

my friend waited a year for his tesla. they don't have the manufacturing capacity or established base of Toyota.

But again, they aren't going to be the only show in town. we haven't even talked about electric trucks. Trucks are the best selling vehicles by far. if the slough of electric trucks make any impression at all (not even talking about cyber truck, but real traditional looking ones), it will be the beginning of the end of conventional vehicles.

8. fl0at_

Because people don't know that it is Tesla, without a T, and run around like old men, where change is scary for them.

There are also issues with dealerships, and not being able to establish Tesla dealerships all over.

9. fl0at_

Either way, the stock price is still not justified. But Tesla has delivered what Musk said they'd deliver. And they've increased optics into the electric car world, which is a benefit.

IP likes this.
  10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

or maybe people don't want to pay for it. i'd buy one if it was the same price as what i currently own.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah he's had a major problem delivering things on time.

12. fl0at_

Tesla did 180,000 units worldwide in Q4 2020, for I believe, a record quarter. Ford's 2020 Q4 sales were down almost 10%.

People want it. And Tesla has a benefit of being a global name.

13. fl0at_

No he hasn't, they are built to order. They don't just build thousands to sit on lots, because those lots don't exist.

IP likes this.
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the S was supposed to be in production what 5 years before it actually came out?

15. fl0at_

Not that I'm aware of. Concept cars and production cars aren't the same thing. That is true of standard manufactures as well. Things go on concept long before they'll ever see production.

16. fl0at_

Hell the Ford Bronco and Ranger were "built" and shown 3 or so years before they were able to be sold.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he flat out said it would be available and in production. he's done this a lot. i don't remember the actual; dates but it was definitely years.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

so are you shorting Tesla or just an old man yelling at clouds?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm not going to short anything with this momentum. good way to lose money. irrational stuff like this can occur for long periods of time. hell it was the heaviest shorted stock on the exchange before it went up 100% for no reason.