The Texas job

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Volgrad98, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Big Jim signed off on Dooley. **** him.

2. If Gruden really wanted to "answer to no one", that's just unreasonable and stupid. Surely that's false.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

James Franklin, anyone?

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd bet "no one" really meant "not academic dipshits with no business making any athletic decisions like Cheek and Martin".

5. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

My guess would in line with that. More control doesn't equal answering to no one. There are still rules to follow.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

[​IMG]

7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

That's exactly what it means along with the ability to clean house of anyone in the AD that isn't in line with the direction of the program.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

who?

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Nice job Spicolli

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Sounds about right for Texas.

11. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Missouri QB is definitely a talented fella but not sure he's coaching material

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He needs a little more experience IMO

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Would be a most bitter pill, and a tough lesson for so many.

14. Tenacious D

Better chance of me being named HC of Bucs than Gruden, so long as the current ownership remains.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Wouldn't be learned IMO. Would just drive the dagger into a select few's heart all the more, and that would be it. At this point, I'd rather cry every time I see him on MNF than ever see him coach another college team.

16. Tenacious D

I suppose some context of the meaning of "no one" could be enlightening.

If someone told "Big Jim" that they weren't going to hop-to at his every whim, no more so than they would any booster, or that they didn't want to only answer to one of the three people who tried to sabotage (and ultimately succeeded) their being hired in the first place, even when such was not in the direct best interest of building a perennial championship-caliber program....then he clearly demanded to answer to "no one".

Most galling, their was a sizable faction of boosters (many prominent and well-known) who welcomed Gruden's "insane" idea that a coach's time and energy were best used in building a winning football program, and not in back-slapping and hand-holding other Type A (bordering on codependent) boosters.

It's the exact same showdown that Kiffin's tenure would have ultimately brought to a head, and in short order, had he stayed. And had he remained as popular and kept winning, he would have rolled over those dumbasses - and they knew it.

God forbid a coach just wants to coach. Crazy.

17. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Titans should have a vacancy in the near future.

18. Tenacious D

He's been out of coaching for 3 years now - look at the list of NFL gigs that have come open in that time.

Name a stronger candidate for any of those openings, besides Gruden. He's the first one they call.

If he wanted a gig in the NFL, he would have taken one long ago.

By every account, he wants to coach again, and yet he's refused any number of NFL jobs (thus far)....which leaves college, high school or what, arena ball?

Not directed at you, at all, Card - just making a general statement, obviously, totally guessing.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's amazing how many programs make decisions based on who will kiss the alumni's ass enough.

20. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

It's a fairly compelling reason to stay. Les Miles would have gone to Michigan.