The worm may be turning

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Lexvol, Sep 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

For several years now, it has felt like the SEC was ready for a coaching shakeup. If we keep some continuity on this staff, quite a few dominoes may fall in the next couple of years. I don't see Richt sticking around, and Spurrier seems like he has one foot out the door. There is no telling what is going to happen in Texas, and frankly I could care less whether we ever recruit another Texas highschool football player. Historically we are at our best when we are poaching the best players from GA, NC and SC. I do think there is a chance that Texas throws the Bank of Austin at Nick Saban.

Realistically, I'd love to say that Butch Jones can get UT back to the top of the SEC East without any of this happening, but it sure would be nice to have a little luck in the process.

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Luck be a lady tonight

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Maybe we get a break, but it only matters if Butch is able to get the job done. Otherwise, we'll still have to rebuild, and the other teams will already have a head start.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It does feel like a shift is occurring. I think for the first time in awhile, there are more than a couple legitimate non-SEC title contenders (Oregon, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, Stanford)

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Maybe.

Long ways to go, but the idea Butch may can pull this off is growing on me....quickly.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

#becausehegetsit

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

That feeling is probably about to take a downturn over the next month or so, but ya.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Beating Florida will go a long way to righting the ship

9. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

This is really not an assessment of our current situation. Gruden aside, I think just about any other coaching hire would need some external help to get this football program back on track as quickly as the fans would like to see it.

There are just a lot of holes to fill on this football team.

10. CardinalVol

We will very likely be 3-5 when November 1 rolls around, but i don't expect it to be as God-awful as many expect.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Seriously, Richt isn't long for UGA, Spurrier has made it clear he's close to retirement and Muschamp isn't getting near enough from UF. Franklin is dealing with a rape cover up and Pinkel is a lame duck.

12. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

the way the ball bounced yesterday was a sign. Never seen anything like that when watching a game in 40 years. That and Palardy of course. We are going to take our lumps, but Lex is right. It's always been a cycle. Ours was just prolonged by bad leadership from top to bottom.
    As Stands With Fist was told by her father before hooking up with John Dunbear, our time of mourning is over.

13. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I hate to say we are a better coached football team simply because it would be impossible for us not be. I still think we are a much better coached football team.

I'm remain on the fence with some of the defensive staff, but our defense played some very good assignment football yesterday. Granted, we weren't facing Aaron Murray, but their offense was competent enough. Our in game adjustments were good on both sides of the ball.

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Georgia replacing Richt makes me nervous. I just hope they go with Kirby Smart.

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

And we haven't been able to say that in a while.

16. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I give this team credit for taking the game over on the first offensive possession of the second half. How long has it been since we could say that?

17. CardinalVol

I'm not sold on all the position coaches at all. Just all in all, do far i like what i see.

18. Oldvol75

I was impressed with it. I was sitting in my chair telling my youngest we just need to keep pounding it. I liked the way the second group showed improvement too.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hope that justice is served if Franklin helped cover the rape up.

20. Oldvol75

If the reports that are out there are true, he's in deep do-do!