The worm may be turning

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Lexvol, Sep 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm a mega-nega thank you very much.

2. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

My, mega nega

3. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

4. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'm certainly not the most optimistic person, but I feel comfortable saying a lot has to go right for Jones to have any kind of success here.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Well, yeah.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A lot has.

7. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

True but more has to happen, which I think is obvious. He really needs to win one he's not supposed to this year. Just not sure I see it happening unless we find a better QB.

I'll admit, the butcher has grown on me since he was hired but I am like many others on here, I am not sold yet on the defensive staff particular secondary and DC.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Up to this point, he's exceeded any reasonable expectation of him.

His defensive staff, exception being Strickland, worries me. The qb play is scary. Running a read option with an unathletic qb scares me too

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I am a MACtion aficionado as well. Loved LeFevour.

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

If he has, it has only been marginally.

He has recruited well in the most gift-wrapped class in UT history. His first team has shown some sort of familiarity with the sport of football. He has given some hope that things won't be terrible forever at one of the top dozen or so programs in college football. In short, he's done what any decent coach would have done.

I'd like to see him beat somebody who is good at football, or put a good recruiting class together next year, or demonstrate that we are gaining on Alabama or Georgia or Florida in a meaningful way before saying he has exceeded anything. To this point, he has given indications that he doesn't completely suck, and while that is a large improvement over his predecessor, it doesn't exceed my expectations, even for a guy who I believed to be a disappointing hire.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Nothing is gift wrapped when you're inheriting a team who has been pathetic for 3 years running and you immediately have to prove to recruits and parents that you're not [ddiapos] without the benefit of anything but a promise and good faith.

12. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Yep and in 2015 this will still be a young team dominated by the great Sophomore class and Freshman with some help from Juniors (Butch's initial class). I doubt there will be much of a Senior class left by then.

13. VOLinDAWGland

Hell we couldn't even say that during the last several Fulmer/Chavis years.

14. VOLinDAWGland

It would scare me more if he'd actually recruited Worley. He's just working to bake an acceptable suffle from a batch of rotten eggs.

15. chavisut

Why does he need to do that? This team isn't even middle of the road SEC talent and you think he should beat SCe, UGA, or UF?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  16. chavisut

4 of 24 commits were gift wrapped. Of those 4, 2 are players that can be found in every class. He also has 5 already for '15.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

As the Worm Turns

18. BigOrangeBeech

I definitely don't disagree with the talent statement. But to me he doesn't even have to beat one of three you mentioned. Just beat AU, Missouri, and Vandy. I definitely dont think that anyone expects us to win all 3 of those games and getting 2 of them is going to be tough. That exceeds my expectations for this year. Can we do it? I'm still
    Doubtful, but for the long term he needs to do something to exceed expectations this year because next year it will be tougher replacing both lines.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  19. BigOrangeBeech

It may actually work into our favor eventually.

20. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

If Worely gets hurt?