This is just stupid, imho.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Feb 10, 2014.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Hold up. Are you really saying WalMart hurts a local economy?

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Are you serious Clark?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Multiple examples of local communities greatly benefiting from walmarts

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The most advanced would be China and they went to India for trade goods, like spices. And, are you stating that India wasn't raped by a colonial power? The Mughal Empire was a solid power and culturally relevant, but India was mostly just a collection of independent states similar to Germany prior to the 1800s.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

India was raped by a colonial power, but their self imposed caste system and idiotic religious insertion is the problem today. The British destroyed something, but the fat, dumb, lazy and happy approach to prosperity did much the same to the Indians that it is to us.

China wasn't more advanced than the Indians.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If Walmart was a unionized company, I'm sure they'd be good for the community.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Agree on the problems of the caste system and religious insertion into society. It's one of the reasons why I've argued the Enlightenment is, arguably, the most important age in the last 2,000 years.

However, there's no doubt the Chinese were the more advanced technological society than the Indians. Just a cursory look at the inventions and innovations by the Chinese prior to the Ming Dynasty confirms this, much less their advancements in areas like navigation.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'll go one by one:

What do you think the average mom and pop paid their checkout clerk? You think that wasn't damn close to minimum wage just like walmart? What you are bemoaning is rich whitey (the owners of the stores) going bankrupt.

Commissioned by the British Columbia division of the Canadian Union of Public Employees
    NEXT

"When Walmart comes to town, it is going to reallocate sales" Yes, it's going to reallocate sales to your community. The horror! I love only mentioning the drop in sales from other stores and not mentioning the dramatic increase in tax revenue and jobs a walmart provides.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That there might be everyday even lower prices if they had legit competition. I'm not trying to bash Walmart. I'm trying to praise competition.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how many areas is the walmart the only man standing? not many.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No where that I can think of.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They sell groceries, have tons of competition on that front from large chains, and from what I understand are generally the cheapest in that department, too.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that was more true 20 years ago.

14. JayVols

I agree nationally. But, go to Erwin, TN. Not much left.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and in areas that can't support a target or Costco or whatever in addition to a walmart what are they better off with? a dozen mom and pops or a walmart with 100X the selection and cheaper prices?

16. JayVols

Droski hates small business.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

fyp

18. JayVols

six in one, half dozen in the other

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

plenty of services are better served by small businesses. retail really isn't one of them.

20. JayVols

The whole you hating small business thing was tongue in cheek.