Trayvon Martin Shooting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Mar 24, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is the sort of evidence that could be damning for one of the two potential scenarios.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

good point

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

In some ways this story highlights the tragedy that can result from weapons of instant, deadly force. Maybe Zimmerman did head back toward his car. Maybe Martin did approach him and ask why he was being followed. Maybe this did escalate to an altercation. Now, getting your head slammed into asphalt could be life threatening...or at least it can seem that way in the moment. If you happen to have a gun, you may pull it at that moment. One shot..and that may be it. There's not much room for error. While there are cases where carrying may be life-saving or at least make one feel better...there are also cases where an instantaneous decision to pull the weapon and fire may result in a death with obviously steep ramifications.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Just saw this. Spot on.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I wonder what -- if any -- political implications come out of this. Obviously Florida is a key piece of the presidential prize. I remember the 2000 election was clouded by the Elian Gonzales case, and some people think Republicans mobilized around this issue in S. Florida after the Clinton admin shipped him back. Food for thought.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Most Dems still think they won the election in Florida, and lost due to miscount and judicial interference.

7. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

We will have to see just how much longer this story continues to have legs with the media because Zimmerman is a registered democrat.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

"You never want a serious crisis to go to waste."
    -Rahm Emanuel

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Elderly couple abandons their home after address is posted on Twitter as that of George Zimmerman

A school-cafeteria lunch lady and her husband have received hate mail, unwanted visits from reporters and fearful inquiries from neighbors — all because their Sanford-area address is being disseminated on Twitter as belonging to Trayvon Martin shooter George Zimmerman, her son said late Tuesday.

The woman, 70, who has a heart condition, and her husband, 72, have temporarily moved to a hotel to avoid the spotlight and possible danger, said son Chip Humble of Longwood.

The woman has another son named William George Zimmerman who lived with her in 1995 and still lives in Central Florida. He is no relation to George Zimmerman, 28, who killed 17-year-old Trayvon Feb. 26, sparking national outrage and international interest....

Zimmerman traced the tweets — which he said have been retweeted by actor-director Spike Lee — to a man in California. Zimmerman has implored the man to stop and said he received this response, "Black power all day. No justice, no peace" and an obscenity.

Trayvon Martin shooting: Wrong address for George Zimmerman on Twitter leaves elderly couple fearing for their safety - Orlando Sentinel

10. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

I tweeted Spike asking which address he was going to send out today. Unfortunately he hasn't responded

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I doubt that matters.

12. Oldvol75

Remember when the congress woman got shot and all the media was jumping on the shooter trying to tie him in with the right? Thats how this started out too. But when it was declared that the guy who shot the congresswoman was a democrat, the media backed off quite a bit. They never like to hang their own when push comes to shove.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't recall it that way at all

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I do think I remember lawgator claiming the dude was a right wing nutjob that had been brainwashed by Fox News into committing the attack.

There was some general talk in the media that Fox news beared responsibility because they pointed out all the members of Congress voting for something or other on a big map marked with targets.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  15. Oldvol75

A lot of people tried to make the connection. Anytime they start bringing up gun laws, they blame it on the ones that like the 2nd!

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I do recall all of that.

Left wing gun toting nutjob doesn't have quite the appeal media wise as a right wing nutjob.

That said, I don't think the facts are applicable here. Race trumps politics.

17. Oldvol75

Gabrielle Giffords Shot: Congresswoman Shot In Arizona (LIVE UPDATES)

From the Huffington Post
    The sheriff blamed the vitriolic political rhetoric that has consumed the country, much of it centered in Arizona.

"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous," he said. "And unfortunately, Arizona, I think, has become the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."

Giffords expressed similar concern, even before the shooting. In an interview after her office was vandalized, she referred to the animosity against her by conservatives, including Sarah Palin's decision to list Giffords' seat as one of the top "targets" in the midterm elections.

"For example, we're on Sarah Palin's targeted list, but the thing is, that the way that she has it depicted has the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district. When people do that, they have to realize that there are consequences to that action," Giffords said in an interview with MSNBC.

The sheriff is a democrat

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  18. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Check out Spike Lee's twitter. He's playing the victim card now, RT'ing all the racist tweets he's getting. Poor Spike.

19. Oldvol75

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

What was untruthful about any of those comments? You're being way too sensitive (ironically, given the claims).

The tea party DID hate her. She DID receive threatening messages from conservative constituents. She and others WERE marked with a crosshair on election strategy maps.

Her story did NOT go away when the kook turned out to be a lefty rather than a righty. It has been a reoccurring story all the way to her resignation recently.