Trayvon Martin Shooting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Mar 24, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what was untruthful was the implication that these things had anything to do with the shooting.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The media basically portrayed the guy as a right-wing tea-party nutjob. It changed instantly.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

And when the facts came out, they didn't... Ya, they speculated wildly at first. But the speculations were based on reality.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The failed Times Square bomber guy was also initially speculated as a right-wing nut job who was probably mad about the health care bill. What's frustrating is that it seems like every time we have something like this the media loves to speculate about it being a right wing nut job and it never is. Although i think the TS incident it was Bloomberg, not the media, but still.

5. CardinalVol

Again, I don't think politics play in this as much as race. I don't know if I ever heard Z described as a right-wing nutjob, although he may have been. It's been much more being painted as purely racial.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or is it possible that, as conservatives, you guys tend to remember such speculations more vividly than others, and attach a weight to them that isn't warranted? You hear "right winger," and you think they are saying YOU did something. They're not.

7. CardinalVol

When someone says this is caused or fueled by a group or mindset that at least some point I sympathize with, it's pretty hard not to draw that conclusion.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm not sure what you are getting at. I think you understand that speculating that a graphic of a map with crosshairs briefly shown on a cable news network caused the attempted assassination of a congresswoman is not in any way responsible journalism.

And why spend so much time on speculation then basically just drop the issue of his political affiliation once those useful things called facts are available?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would you guys care to speculate how often these sort of news stories involved the speculation of someone being Muslim, and later found out not to be?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. As I recall, the commentary never went so far as to say cross-haired maps caused it. They said such rhetoric was unhealthy and inappropriate. Do you disagree?

2. Speculation is what the media is all about. I can go on drudge and hear all kinds of speculation about any given noteworthy story. As I alluded to a minute ago, plenty of perpetrators of violence are immediately speculated to be Muslim, and then found not to be.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You think it's really that common? I mean a quick glance at the name will usually give you a pretty good clue.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

1. They were targeted because they represented the principal opposition to Tea Party objectives. The targets were specifically discussed as needing input from their constituents and whatnot as to why they should change their stances. It's really not inappropriate to use that kind of imagery. No one would care had this not happened.

2. If you speculate one thing and the opposite turns out to be true, that should make the revelation an even bigger story, since it was unexpected. It wasn't and there is a reason.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Conservative outlets reported that Gifford's shooter was Muslim.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

The video of Zimmerman getting booked isn't helping his case. He doesn't look like a man who just fought for his life.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't recall that. Dude looks and has the name of the last person on Earth I'd expect to embrace Islam.

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

If you can find the threadon TOOS, i am pretty sure gs linked them...

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Right. I'm sure some lunatic in a bunker reported it, but I don't think anyone at Fox News was talking about Jared, the Taliban's newest general.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Foxnews DEFINITELY speculated that he was Muslim.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Which personality?

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You just summed up our media's decline. They are all 'personalities' now rather than 'reporters' of fact.