Tyler Summit Resigns for Inappropriate Balls Depth

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Apr 7, 2016.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

No.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Quote from USA Today article in USA Today:

Tyler Summitt resigned Thursday as Louisiana Tech's women's basketball coach on Thursday.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I'm not so sure. I think she might be trying to say leave me alone, it's the other one without actually saying it.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Well done work was pretty well done.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

For his sake, I hope it's this one.

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yup

10. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

*cough* *cough*

Not "every" male....

*cough* *cough*

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Here - I'll ask the unpopular question:

Someone explain to me why Tyler, one consenting adult engaging another in a relationship, sexual or otherwise, should have been compelled to resign? How does that have anything to do with his in/ability to coach basketball?

Are we going to start requiring every married person who does the same to similarly resign? What about anyone who has sex with any other "position of authority", adulterous or no, are they to quit, too? Do you know how many hundreds of thousands of people would be forced to resign each year? Were I to guess, I'd say that everyone here can relate some similar story they've experienced in their professional life, and which the thought of their resigning either never occurred to anyone, or that it wasn't laughably absurd, even if it did.

Why is everyone so easily willing - entirely automatic, even - to hold a sports personality to some different and exceedingly higher standard than everyone else?

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Generally it's been my experience, not personally, that the offending parties are transferred to different departments or work groups (one or both) and told not to do it again.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

But coach / player? That's different. That's like boss and employees. Too much influence and loss of ability to lead.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'm talking about boss and employee. Granted the sample size is low, because it's obviously not something that happens every day.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not sure how you do that in a college team setting though.

I've seen/heard of that or that both employees are terminated. In all isntances, the superior is held to a higher standard in most cases.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Yeah I see the coach player thing as completely different. I could see the logic of someone keeping Petrino on after he banged the girl in the AD office if he didn't suck, this is different.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Also true.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What happens when a player files suit saying that he withheld playing time in exchange for sex. Harder to defend when he has shown a willingness to have sex with at least 1 player.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I just feel that in sports there is an unethical power dynamic involved between player-coach, and that there are no options other than resignation. You cannot transfer him or the player. Players are generally told that the coach is like the captain of a ship, and that their word is law. You start involving sexual conduct in with this and it starts to break down the power structure.

You just cannot have that.