Vandy Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 25, 2023.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1 Love him or hate him, you have to be happy for JM3 having that game today.

2 Same for Keyton.

3 Ken Williamson and his crew need to be fired. They are simply not capable of reffing at this level. Everything that went down in Q2 was a direct result of them not being able to control a game.

4 Heupel has some big decisions to make in the next few weeks about coaching staff. The defensive side of the ball is just not up to par.

5 I would take Derek Mason to solve some of those problems in a heartbeat.

6 Gaston Moore would probably start at FCS and below and be pretty dang good.

7 Wright has a legit shot to break Chesse’s rushing record next season.

8 Squirrel needs to catch 100 balls a day every day between now and the start of next fall camp.

9 Kentucky may have done us a favor today beating UK. That may bump Ole Miss to NY6 and bump us up a bowl spot.

10. Auburn. Auburn. I don’t know what to say. I don’t know what part of that final play defense was the dumbest part but I have no words.

Daddy Gee and IP like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am pretty soft and thought the defense was passable... until October. Changes are needed. Particularly with defensive backs.

The dumbest part of that final play was having a guy spying Milroe on 4th and 32 or whatever. if Milroe can scramble 32 yards in for a score, so be it. You live with that.

VOLinDAWGland and Tar Volon like this.
  3. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I’ll never forgive a 6 win Auburn team for having Bama THAT dead to rights and blowing it. [uck fay] Auburn now more than ever.

Memtownvol, reVOLt, AbeFroman and 6 others like this.
  4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Highly doubt the SEC is getting 3 teams in the NY6 bowls.

5. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

kind of the season opinion for me.

I really don’t have much good to say. Offensively we seemed to have changed philosophies. Our receivers aren’t that good. It isn’t youth. They just are not playmakers. Lots of drops.

Personally I prefer a workhorse RB rather than by committee. It’s just my preference.

I think Heupel had deliberate reasons for not playing Nico much this season. I don’t pretend to know why. But the logic that Joe is better is bullshit. This isn’t an attempt to bash on Joe, but Nico getting so little game reps is stupid. It isn’t that I disagree so much as it is just plain stupid.

I watched a lot of football the last 2 days and we have to be the worst pass defending defense I have seen in the secondary. We rarely contest the reception.

Im not calling for Heupel’s head at all. And it’s not that 8-4 is a criminally bad record. We just don’t look good. I don’t understand our defensive philosophy at all and this horizontal throw game is not something I welcome. I hope we see a heavy portal emphasis and at least 3 coaching staff changes.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The SEC was bad enough this year that we could win eight games without bothering to defend the pass. If we run it back next year with trips to Norman and Athens, I’ll be upset.

I don’t think Nico at this literal instant is a game-changer, but I think the offense will look better next year if we can protect him.

7. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I am sure you are not arguing to stop defending the pass…because no one ever should. With our churn at OL and complete and devoted approach to horizontal passing game, I really don’t know how next year’s schedule plays out better.

8. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

The committee may not have much of a choice. Barring upsets in the title games next week, the last at-large spot would likely come down to Ole Miss and Oklahoma.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If it comes down to Ole Miss and Oklahoma it goes to Oklahoma every time.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Lane is about to go on a hell of a PR campaign

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If nothing else, Vandy makes for a favorable senior day.

It’s wild as hell that the SEC can’t field a semi-competent officiating crew.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm glad Joe went out on a high note, now sit the bowl out

Glad Jaylen Wright broke 1k, go make a lot of NFL money young man

I'm glad the bowl game will be the last time Willie Martinez draws a paycheck from Tennessee

There's young pieces on this defense to be pretty good but dammit be good at something and stick with it.

Tealander looks to be a pretty good linebacker

Why is walk on Will Brooks playing over all the dbs they've recruited the past two seasons?

BleedOrange12 likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The officials lost control of that game and it nearly got ugly. Clark Lea had every right to flip his shit

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I have no doubt he will but it will fall on deaf ears. Ole Miss has like 80K fans that will travel like shit since most of them can't even afford to leave the state. They deserve to go but the money will decide it.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

honestly, what the [uck fay] were the officials doing that series? Collectively, the entire crew had its thumb up its ass.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Do you know Willie martinez is fired or just assuming?

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He isn't coming back

Memtownvol and VolDad like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's for the best.

19. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

What’s the next SEC program Martinez steals from for a couple years?

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I listened to the first few minutes today on the Vol Network.

Bob Kesling is the quintessential professional in broadcast journalism, and a gentleman to boot. It almost feels cruel to levy an objective analysis on his performance…but goddam…he was about as sharp as the officiating crew.

justingroves likes this.