Vandy Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 25, 2023.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A functional offense scores 14 more points a game. Milton could go quarters without completing a pass

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Interesting to see, we ran 120 fewer offensive plays this year, even though our 3rd down conversion % was just a little bit higher than last year.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'll ignore 2022 for obvious reasons. UT points per game 2021: 39.3. UT points per game 2023: 31.5. And while it is simple to look at the margin of victory and say that this would not have changed the outcome, consider that the game is different if you aren't squating on a one score lead. The Florida game is tremendously affected by putting in one more score in any of the first 3 quarters, and remember that their starting QB could physically not throw a pass due to cut fingers for most of the second half. That game gets changed with another score despite the margin of victory, if only by Florida not having the ball for as many minutes in the second quarter.

TAMU is never in doubt. Alabama is swung to a single possession/last possession type game (because again, part of the problem this season was the offense was not getting many possessions to begin with). I concede that the Missouri and Georgia games are not changed.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I assume caused by Banks defense and offensive inefficiency.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

15 play, 8 minute drives by the opposition will kill your plays per game average.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

We avgd 6.4 ypp vs 7.1 in ‘22

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Especially when your quarterback gets the ball back, goes 3 and out while missing two open receivers and not reading the DE on a read option

PilotFlyingJ and NorrisAlan like this.
  8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

With Hooker, 100%. And I honestly wonder whether the Missouri result would’ve changed if the offense were keeping up with them. The defense never got off the bus that game, but at the same time, maybe they dig a little deeper if they’re getting any help at all.

With, I dunno, Dillon Gabriel or somebody…probably? With Nico I have no idea.

9. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

In SEC play, our average YPG dropped 100 yards while our defense actually gave up 40 less YPG this year.

Defensive stat might just be from all the short fields we gave up after 3 and outing 10 drives/game

10. Volsdude

2023 yards per attempt in SEC play 7.6 (which would have us hovering in upper 40s nationally) vs. 9.3 last year (which would be good for 4th). Those are both in SEC play the other teams are not compensated for. If we do total season 2022 had us 2nd in the nation at 9.7 while 2023 we are 46th at 7.8

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think it was fewer drives by the opposition because we let them nickel and dime us all the way down the field, giving up 70 yd 8 min drives

Memtownvol, VOLinDAWGland and IP like this.
  12. Tar Volon

Partially that, but a big piece is (1) South Carolina and A&M having absolute trash lines, and (2) Milroe and Mertz being worse at football than Richardson and Young. Honestly, those two things may make up 320 yards on their own.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  13. Volsdude

Definitely a possibility.

I’m in the minority here I realize, but I didn’t have as much of a problem with the defense as the general assembly did. I do think Martinez needs to go and get someone who will have the DBs play more physically on the outside. I want more athleticism at the LB position which I think we have in Carter (hopefully Telander as well??). Watching herring get cooked for 60 minutes against mizzou was awful. The DLine I think is going to be as good as any next year across the top, still need depth as always though. If we fired Banks, I just don’t know who we’d go get that would immediately make me feel better at this point.

I’d want someone who has recruited in the south. I mean are we looking at Muschamp? Manny Diaz (puke)? I’d definitely be interested in Zach Arnett who we would be able to get.

14. Ssmiff

yep. We gave up a 10 minute 20 play drive to Florida. Unheard of for a UT defense.
    New clock rules as well. We also had fewer explosive plays which meant fewer quick possession changes.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’d like to see us get Zach Arnett for DC, if we’re shopping

Memtownvol likes this.
  16. Tar Volon

Him or Aranda.

Memtownvol likes this.
  17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Derek Mason?

Memtownvol, Volsdude and Tar Volon like this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Florida game pissed me off because there was no aggression whatsoever defensively. I still don't understand what they were doing. Outside of that game, the defense did enough for Tennessee to win every game other than Georgia.

The biggest problem all year was the offense. Every game Milton started in his career in Knoxville had painful droughts where positive yards were hard to come by, even Vandy and Clemson in 2022 had a lot of 3 and outs.

Do I think Banks is a good defensive coordinator? No, not really but I believe Tennessee could do a lot worse there.

Volsdude likes this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Arnett was extremely disrespectful towards Mike Leach. Leach is one of Heupel's mentors, I don't see them working together.

20. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Aranda is getting another year at Baylor