Vandy Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 25, 2023.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Was fortunate to have seats last night right behind the Vandy bench. While my personal preference is to sit higher than lower at games, it’s still always fun to watch the game from that close.

It’s interesting to me to watch how a sideline operates during a game. I also forget how sloped the field really is. You lose that perspective when you sit high.

I can say that the whistles were really hard to hear on those two back to back plays we obliterated their QB. I wouldn’t have known the refs were blowing it dead had I not seen the line judge running in.

#36 was talking massive amounts of shit to the fans in our section after their bench cleared, really showing his ass. Even gave a double bird at one point. Though he didnt have much to say when he had to walk back by after picking up that personal foul a little bit later but our section sure did.

No matter how the season goes, it’s always sad knowing it’s the last game day and you won’t get to do it again until next season.

A-Smith, SetVol13, IP and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The defense gave us a better chance to win against Florida than they did against Missouri.

(I will agree that the Florida performance is more maddening, however, because Florida is worse than Missouri)

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

As shitty as Tennessee’s defense played against Mizzou, they gave up 29 points. A quarterback that doesn't suck keeps that a much closer ball game

Volsdude likes this.
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

a qb that doesn’t suck and they don’t get to hand it to their stud running back to run outside zone 25 times.

5. Tar Volon

And they gave up what in Gainesville? 22? 26? Up to you how you want to count the drive that started at the 5. It was a very ugly performance by the defense, but it was still winnable if the offense had played well. A lot more winnable than the Missouri game if you only want to change out QB play (keeping in mind that the Missouri game was the worst performance of the season by the running backs, and it wasn’t close).

6. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Here is my take. Our defense sucked this year and our offense and QB mostly sucked too. Our defense sucked last year, but our offense and QB were historically great. That covered for our defense most of the year, but when it went to hell it really went to hell (SC game).

I’m afraid JH is ok with mediocre overall defense as long as he can put together a great offense that covers for it. Making some serious defensive staff changes this offseason would prove me wrong, but I don’t expect it to happen.

Basically I just don’t think we’re as serious about defense as we are offense. JH certainly wouldn’t be the first offensive guru HC to take this approach.

7. BleedOrange12

BleedOrange12 New Member

Regarding Martinez, I really hope this is true. My first memory of him is when he was on Mark Richt's Georgia staff with a garbage secondary during an era when they frequently lost to Tennessee. I was shocked when we hired him... twice. Heupel needs to make sure that contract doesn't get renewed or else he is going to be digging himself out of a hole. I've never seen such a senior-laden secondary look so inept.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
    10SEvols likes this.
  8. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Thought about randy Shannon since he was with heupel at UCF but looking at his defensive stats there I don’t think it’s a fit lol

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

He said that he expects us to have an Elite Defense.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was our defensive backs specifically that sucked. Our D-line was as dominant as anyone's in the country.

11. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

He can say it all he wants. His actions speak otherwise if changes aren’t made.

OneForVol likes this.
  12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Think he may have said “Leaky” and not “Elite”

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Linebackers too, but a lot of kids playing there

Tar Volon likes this.
  14. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Dylan Sampson rumors swirling from cryptic social media post/activity.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Portal stuff?

16. Tar Volon

I think the staff should’ve given him more of Small’s touches, but it’s hard to imagine him not wanting to be in this offense. Hopefully just social noise.

17. KyleAlexanderfan

Yeah. Referencing going home and removing some Tennessee info on his profile.

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

What did he post? I saw a “Give it all to God” tweet but that’s it.
    We will know soon enough after HC meets with each player to discuss this year and next year plans. Will need to hit the portal if he does.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You would have a hard time getting me to be a college coach. You have to recruit new players and continually recruit the players you have.

Screw that

10SEvols likes this.
  20. KyleAlexanderfan

He also has the social media post earlier in the year after not playing the UF(?) game. So not surprising if he decides to leave.