What does Butch have to do...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BigOrangeBeech, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

This. And substance.

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

This is where I am. Its where I was before the season started. After seeing how much improved our defense is, I started to expect 7 wins.

5-7 or worse and I am clearly off the train.

6-6 I will give him a chance to get things worked out on the offensive staff during the offseason, but the margin of error is razor thin next year.

3. VB refugee

VB refugee New Member

Bowl game

4. Coastypop

Coastypop New Member

Win baby Win

5. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

Beat a top ten team.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Beat UTC, sweep November, win the bowl game, look competent against Ole Miss and Bama, and keep the train rolling on the recruiting trail. Also want to appear that we have a purpose in our play calling. I don't want any of the wins to be like USCe last year where we play a little less shitty than the other team and manage to win the game.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

If he doesn't make a bowl, he can go ahead and gtfo.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I would be fully on his side if he would take the Indiana job after the season.

9. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

Need to get to a bowl game at 6-6 with Mizz being a toss up for that 7th win. He need to address the off scheme in the off season and decide if it will be his demise even though I am slightly curious how it would look with a Qb like J. Jennings.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd support this decision 110%.

11. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

12. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

You can add another 2 years to the rebuilding project if that happens before NSD.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

A rebuilding job means there is someone in place to finish the job.

14. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

As opposed to waiting three years and wasting the current freshman class before he is inevitably fired?

15. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Maybe Butch isn't the man for the job but he's certainly bringing in the upper echelon talent that we desperately need. He's recruiting better than Kiffin or Dooley ever dreamed of, right now. Tennessee losing this class that they currently have lined up would be such a huge blow.

16. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

I say give him next season and see what happens. If he doesn't win 9 or 10 games next year, then he can GTFO and leave a loaded young team for the next guy i.e. Ron Zook.

Tennessee needs to hit on back to back elite classes before running him off.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Unfortunately, the chances of us hiring an Urban Meyer after firing our Zook is approximately 3%. It's more likely we go directly from our Zook to our Muschamp.

18. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Maybe so but running Butch off after this year would leave a Dooley-esque dumpster fire for the next guy. Rinse and repeat.

At least we would have a young and potentially loaded team after 2015, which is something we didn't have after Fulmer, Kiffin or Dooley.

19. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

yup

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I'm also not a fan of keeping a guy around that you know isn't the guy just because, especially if you know you can go out and get the right guy.

That said, I have zero confidence that we'll make a quality hire if/when the scenario presents itself.