What does Butch have to do...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BigOrangeBeech, Oct 8, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree with you in principle. Practically, we should eat this shit sandwich until his contract is about up, a new sheriff comes in at AD, or the recruits stop coming. Whichever comes first.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

True, but there will be that short, magical period between coaches where a tiny sliver of hope lingers. Cherish it.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The most recent coaching search is the most fun I've had a a Tennessee fan in years. Then I woke up to the text that we were about to hire Butch Jones.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know. I was having a Gruden thinking about all the wins we were about to be accumulating... and then "who?"

5. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

But how confident can we be that we actually hire someone better, given our last 2 coaching hires?

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Depends on who is making the hire.

How many years do you see Peyton playing? From that, subtract how many years you see Butch staying here.

If you end up with any number above "0", and we're as likely to end up with Ken Sparks as anyone.

7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I could be way off on this one but barring a miracle November, I do not believe Hart is at Tennessee this time next year. You cannot borrow money from the University and go into the black when you are Tennessee's AD.

8. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that. I'm not sold on us yet either. I'm encouraged by some things we've done this season but not ready to get the cart in front of the horse either.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

What does go into the black mean?

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Just win baby win.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

ugh. into the red. imma dumbass

12. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Why do I feel like Spurrier is going to finally use Davis like he should have been all year against us?

13. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Kentucky runs an air raid and they run downhill more than we do.

14. Tenacious D

The money that Cheek "loaned" Hart is a more complicated and convoluted affair than it may have first appeared.

Hart may be hung out to dry, but it won't have anything to do with those monies.

Dave Hart's tenure is so closely tied to Butch Jones', and his success or failure, as to allow each to legally hyphenate and share their last names. Dave Hart is so strongly linked to Jones as to make the relationship between "water" and "wet" seem transient, in comparison.

JMHO. It's undoubtedly wrong.

15. Tenacious D

1. He has to make a bowl. Period. And that means he has to win 6 games. Winning 5 and getting a special waiver to participate in a bowl won't cut it.

2. He has to beat UTC.

3. He has to win three of four games against Mizzou, KY, Vandy and USC.

4. He has to keep the Ole Miss and BAMA games competitive, not give up, and keep the scores in those (likely) losses out of the embarassing range.

5. The offense has got to make a dramatic (damned-near miraculous) turn-around and finish the season playing so well as to give some sliver of Hope that what they're doing has any chance of working. Or that they're capable of making necessary adjustments, be it in players, scheme or coaches.

6. He has to protect Dobbs' redshirt. I'd much rather believe that this was the plan all along, and that we're not going to be breaking in a true frosh QB in the next year or two. I could be wrong on Dobbs, but that's my belief, as it now stands.

7. He absolutely, positively, without a doubt has to keep this class intact. Even better, if he can turn / add a stud OL or 12. He can't lose either McKenzie or Tuttle.

8. After NSD, he has to make necessary changes to his staff. I've already seen more than enough to warrant the o-line coach being shown the door. If he doesn't make that minimum move (and possibly others, as the rest of the season dictates), I'm going to find it impossible to believe that he's more loyal to the program, and in returning it to prominence, than he is to his friends.

I'm not going to be calling for his firing if he fails to do any of these things, but I will have lost almost all ability to give him the benefit of the doubt, and will believe that he is very unlikely to be the answer here, at least long term.

That's where I'm at on Butch, and what it will take to keep me on the wagon, even cautiously.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

At the risk of further exposing my intelligence or lack thereof, are you agreeing with me?

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

This tyope of a post is critical to the program. This type of critical analysis is critical to the success of our football program. It's critical that we look at ourselves and critical that we make critical improvements.

Tenny, critical posters make critical posts in critical situations.

Critically.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Relax. Smoke you a Camel or 200. I took it that he agreed at least at some level.

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Now that everyone here has adopted our stance of "negativity," our stable should be renamed The 8ths Low Hanging Fruit or however you so eloquently phrased it Saturday.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

This post is best read in a John Madden voice.