What would it take...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by TDVol1989, Nov 23, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good and fair question, by the way

2. nomojo

nomojo Member

I don't believe Butch can win me over, because he won't be able to take the team to the next level. You can bet he will be out-coached for at least one loss per year, and his charts will cost another.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hire Peyton Manning as offensive coordinator/QB coach and give him the reigns on offense. Let him implement his offense and call his own plays. That + continue to recruit well and I'd give him another chance.

4. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Might as well see if he can hire Marvin the Martian to be his outer space recruiting coordinator while we're at it.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There are a few things I can think of.
    1. Beat UF and bammer and win the east in the same season.
    2. Win the SEC while beating bammer or win it while losing only one SEC game.
    3. Beat Saban-coached bammer two years in a row with at least one dominant performance.
    4. Win a natty.
    5. Make the playoffs two years in a row.

I recognize some of these are lofty. I am a Tennessee fan. If you don't have lofty expectations, go pull for Vandy. Some of these would obviously overlap in most reasonable scenarios. None of these would buy my undying dedication, but any one of them would cause me to get off his case while some would make me actually accept him as legit.

6. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I could be content by making the SEC Championship game and losing so long as we don't get blown out or significantly outcoached in the 2nd half of said game. Simply making the SEC Championship game would buy him a pass as it would be progress.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Beat Florida, Beat Bama, Win the East, win the SEC and get into the playoffs and then make a good showing while there.

I hope he does it. I hope he makes me eat the biggest plate of crow ever served. Because I see a 0.00% chance that any of my criteria ever get accomplished. Any of it.

8. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

A) stop trolling me nonstop and shut the **** up
    B) win meaningful games, more than one in a season
    C) shut the **** up, seriously, I hate his stupid ass shit.

9. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

It's time to ask it...albeit with a heavy heart. I have been a fan since 1985 and I am disgusted. But, I find myself asking what the hell could he do. If he doesn't voluntarily leave, it's going to take a collapse to get rid of him soon. Maybe, just maybe he will see the light. Anyone can turn it around. If he's here for 5 more years, I can't just root for him to lose every damn year. I want to freaking win. So, maybe one of us sees him in an airport and has a chance to to tell what the heck to do...because he doesn't know.

10. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

When? Ever? Next year?

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I can

12. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Go undefeated and win a NC next year. Is that fair? Probably not, but that's what it would take for me.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I wasn't aware Marvin the Martian had endless ties to UT.

14. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

get rid of 3rd down for what
    talk like a normal person
    hire competent assistants
    basically, get out of his own way. recruit and motivate. let other people take care of the rest.

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Win the Super Bowl.....too much?

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Resign.

17. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

But he does bleed orange

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is a great question.

1. Make several and substantive changes to his coaching staff, including: Fire DeBoard (better chance Jones quits, instead), Mahoney, Azzani, and hire proven, competent replacements who can bring - and are given the freedom to install and execute - their own ideas, wrinkles and schemes. I would put Jancek on notice that his job is on the line if he doesn't finish in upper half of SEC in every major defensive category. Hire a MF'ing, actual honest-to-goodness QB coach. (Spoiler alert: if Dobbs doesn't complete 60%+ of his passes in this run-heavy offense - a near miraculous standard, from where he is - next year is going to be a disappointment, too). When assistants are clearly inadequate or underperforming, show them less loyalty than you show to the program, and fire them.

2. Stop making excuses. All of them. If someone tries to make one on your behalf, reject it outright. First, they don't matter, second they can't save you, and finally, they only make you look weak.

3. Beat Florida, Georgia and Bama next season.

4. Win 11 games next season, and every season thereafter. Be competitive, even if in defeat.

5. Play to win. Stop being a snatch, and playing scared. Stop watching the clock. Empty the gun in every single game. If you can beat a team by 50, shoot for 60.

6. Consistently turn your players loose to play, and make plays.

7. When you fail, accept total blame - and without caveat or explanation.

8. Stop lying. To fans. To recruits. To players. To Admin. To yourself.

9. Stop being an emotional midget.

10. Stop asking for - and refuse - any bump and extension for mediocre results.

11. Stop saying stupid shit. Better, largely just stop talking. Do your talking in the win/loss column, and realize that no one cares about any statement beyond it.

12. Finish in the Top 5 in recruiting. Every. Single. Year.

13. Win the SECE in 3 of 5 years (you basically have to beat Florida with a charlatan coach - not that hard). Win the SEC and be in the Playoffs every other year. Win a NC 1 of 6 years.

14. Don't mistreat, verbally abuse and physically accost players.

15. Realize that you are not the smartest guy in the room, and realize that you never will - nor need - to be.

16. Don't try to reinvent football. Be inventive and adaptable, for sure, but don't forget that it's a rather simple game - win up front, take care of the ball, tackle, when you find an opponent's weakness, whatever it is, be content to exploit it over and over and over until they stop it.

17. Make in-game adjustments. Better, make timely, smart and effective in-game adjustments.

18. Realize that you are neither the sun nor moon, and that the universe neither revolves around you, nor should it. It's not about YOU - but the PROGRAM.

19. If you can't or won't do these things, then quit. Go somewhere where a lesser effort and a lower standard is acceptable. Or, just go to the house.

20. Basically, be a grown-assed man, don't steal money, don't insist on holding people hostage with a buyout, and don't demand what you have neither earned nor deserve.

This would do it for me. And, contrary to my spats of anger, I can admit it's possible for Jones to do these things, or most of them. It's highly unlikely, simply because most of his problems are merely symptoms of his own over-sized ego, ignorance, lack of character and emotional fragility. But, hey, Demascus road and all.

But I'm from Mizzou on it all - show me.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Tenny just posted his way out of the Faildozer tournament. Kudos.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yep. Should be printed on a paper and nailed to the AD door a la Martin Luther.