WMD did exist

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Oct 15, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

im just shocked a New York times author chose to editorialize in a non opinion article. Just shocked

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It's the title of the article.

3. Unimane

In case after case, participants said, analysis of these warheads and shells reaffirmed intelligence failures

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's not in the tweet. If you read the tweet you'd certainly think the untold story was finding all the warheads.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Sure thing, woodwind.

6. Unimane

When did the tweet become more important than the article it's tweeting about?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I should look for my old volnation posts on this.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the tweet indicates that at least someone at the new York times thinks finding said warheads is newsworthy.

9. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I'm usually all snuggled up in my American flag with an assault rifle slung around my neck but I agree with Uni on this. There is nothing in this article that changes any aspect of the criticism that was levied against the war in Iraq.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it went well beyond any justification for war. It was a rallying cry for the left. still is. Uni arguing that it's irrelevant, or not newsworthy, that WMD did exist is rather silly.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

The premise of the invasion was that there were active labs and stockpiles of WMD's. There weren't.

12. Unimane

If so, (and I don't think that's the case here, anyway) then that Tweeter is a moron who doesn't read his own newspaper and validates my low opinion of Twitter. Why some dude putting a few words on the lowest form of communication we have today means anything whatsoever in comparison with the actual article is beyond me.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there were stockpiles of WMDs.

14. Unimane

Bumper stickers? Really?

The only thing that is really going on here is that you are desperately holding on the semantic argument that there were really WMDs while ignoring the reality that this "discovery" (that was made and reported on 10 years ago) in no way supports the rhetoric which led to the war or justifies any of the endeavor we made into Iraq.

I'm also not arguing that the fact that we found some aging canisters of chemicals is irrelevant, but that you are missing the real newsworthy point of the story in order to win this semantic argument.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yes really. We've heard for years and years about how there were zero WMD. now we find out there were many thousands and people like you say "what? what does it matter?" really?

From the article:

The United States had invaded Iraq to reduce the risk of the weapons of mass destruction that it presumed Mr. Hussein still possessed. And after years of encountering and handling Iraq’s old chemical arms, it had retroactively informed the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons in 2009 that it had recovered more than 4,500 chemical weapons.

16. Unimane

We heard 10 years ago about this stuff. It was reported everywhere, as I noted. Not that it will register in your head, but finding decades old canisters of decaying and useless chemicals is not the smoking gun of "WMDs found in Iraq!!"

I found a Civil War bullet once in my yard. I guess that means I'm now armed and dangerous.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'll ask it again. if it was widely reported why is it now world wide news? and the cover up is not what is making the news.

I find no place the word "active" came out of bush's mouth. useless? if they can harm out troops just by being near them you seriously are telling me that even if every single bomb was inoperative (which is HIGHLY questionable) that those chemicals couldn't be used as WMD in the future or used by terrorists? puh-lease check out the article I just posted and tell me that that stuff wasn't dangerous.

19. Unimane

Same site.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/bush-iraq-wmds_n_5990624.html

Never thought the day would happen when I would see you use the NY Times and Huffington Post to try and justify your point.

More evidence Bush was continuously, and disastrously, wrong.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2014/10/15/iraq-wmd-does-the-new-york-times-probe-reflect-what-administration-officials-claimed/

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the phrase "active program" never occurred in any bush speeches. it's a nice moving of the goal posts by the liberals.