World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Jun 11, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Saw a couple of folks on twitter mention it. Would expect a formal report soon, these were ESPN people.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're the natural fallback. We can host these sort of things with no major construction necessary. So could countries like the UK I suppose, but we have a reputation for being great hosts.

3. Plus as somebody mentioned in another thread, the 2018 WC is in Europe, so they'd probably rather not put it in the same continent for consecutive tournaments.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah I heard it a bunch too

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Get ready? We could host the knockout stage of this tournament if you told us tomorrow.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

****, we could probably take some groups next week if they wanted.

7. Not and meet FIFA's current asinine stadium requirements. We would have to play all the games in domes or they would have to make MAJOR concessions for even us to be able to host without doing massive renovations to the outdoor stadiums.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The 1994 World Cup was by far the most successful. And we pretty much didn't have to do anything. FIFA will get over it if the alternative is a guaranteed shitshow.

9. In '94 I recall we just got to use the stadiums as is. Probably before their stupid requirement that all stadiums have a "sophisticated roof" over the seating areas that leads to host nations either having to renovate existing or build new stadiums to meet that standard. But, you're right. I guarantee they come off that before they face down the consequences of staging a WC where many, or all their corporate sponsors bail on them.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Don't underestimate how much of the soccer world utterly despises England. I mean, just a visceral hate. Look at Blatter when he mentioned racism as a factor in the criticism of the Qatar 2022 Cup. Did he say racism in general? No, it was specifically England and this isn't the first time they have been specifically mentioned by Blatter and/or FIFA officials. No way they get the Cup if it has to be moved.

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Can't believe FIFA made Croatia's goalie play in leg irons. Need to get a handle on the corruption before it tarnishes their sterling reputation.

Brazil were a massive disappointment. Croatia are obviously talented, but at the end of the day they had an out-of-form Hull City striker (worse than Sunderland, even) at the front ****ing up all their chances. The kicker, for me, is the cheating, diving ****. Please exit at earliest convenience.

Sidenote: Croatia always has the badassest coaches.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Somewhat off topic but my mom took this picture a couple months ago when we were in Milan

[​IMG]

13. CardinalVol

14. CardinalVol

The way it's going in Brazil, that's not completely far-fetched.

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Who's favored in the Mexico vs Cameroon game?

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Mexico, although they have been pretty underwhelming the last year and a half.

17. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I've got Mexico 2 Cameroon 1 in my yahoo picks.

18. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Full disclosure, I've got a W6 going on streak for cash and am trying to decide if Mexico over Cameroon straight up is a comfortable pick. I'm planning on taking Spain over Netherlands later today either way.

19. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I picked Netherlands to upset. Probably won't happen, but worth a shot.

20. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

The ref controlled that game. That was too bad. Brazil probably would have won anyhow but with that ref, there was no doubt.