Yes people kill people, but do we really need easy access

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Dec 14, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

to assault rifles? Crazy mo fo's will do crazy things, but can't we at least try to limit the carnage?

2. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

If everyone had their permit and carried, things like this would be significantly reduced. Makes a difference to pull a gun when others will also pull to return fire.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So you suggest we allow preschoolers and teachers to carry weapons. . . nothing bad will come from that. . .

4. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

The government would love to take our guns away.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I think our main problem is our lack of corporal punishment. If we had public executions in the streets, people would think twice about doing some of these things. The overwhelming majority of gun owners don't shoot people.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ah yes the old slippery slope argument.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The problem is focusing on the weapon used and not focusing on the POS that does such a thing.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

most of these guys end up killing themselves anyway so how is the threat of corporal punishment going to stop this from happening? I have no problem with gun ownership, I just see no point to any gun that needs to shoot rapidly. a shotgun is just fine for home defense. a hunters rifle is just fine for hunting. etc etc.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I agree with you when it comes to the media. But the fact remains that if he had simply had a shotgun or pistol, I very much doubt we see 25+ people and kids dead.

10. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Are you high? No, I didn't say that kids should be armed. Adults should be for the protection of the children. It is a damn better option than taking a fist to a gunfight. There's a reason this shit doesn't happen in Texas.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As a father of a 6 and 7 year old, both in Elementary school, this story has hit me pretty hard today. I cannot fathom the cowardly mind that thinks to go to an elementary school full of 40 pound kids that cannot do anything, along with a 90% female adult population and no weapons allowed.

That said, people that do this sort of thing, sans the ability to get assault rifles, would simply make bombs instead, using readily available materials. Or six-shooters, or swords, or whatnot.

There is no rationalizing this or even getting any answers. The perpetrator is dead. All we can do is go home, hug our children and keep on keeping on.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I've said it multiple times and I think it could help, but if a teacher or administrator has a gun permit, they should be encouraged to bring it and lock it in their vehicle. If something like this happens, at least give some of the victims a fighting chance.

13. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

a semi auto shot gun will shoot as fast

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't trust my teachers to use or handle handguns around children. at least not in a situation where they could actually get to it, arm themselves, and defend themselves in a situation like this.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I posted this in another thread: Man slashes 22 children near China school - latimes.com

Notice this nutso didn't actually kill any of these people. That is all I'm saying. Why make it easy?

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think it's pretty obvious I was talking semi auto anything.

17. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

With today's electronic technology, there is no reason why a remote operated lock box could not be used to keep the weapon in and remote unlock with alarm for panic situations like this.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It's okay. God will see all the facebook and twitter prayers and fix the situation.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I own and assault rifle, so I am not siding with the advocacy of getting rid of them. It is a meaningless thing and wouldn't work.

But, a shotgun generally has to be singly loaded, one shell at a time once you empty the tube. What makes assault rifles so deadly in these situations (and hi capacity semi-auto pistols) is the quickly changing magazine. A pump shotgun will shoot almost as fast as a semi-auto, same with a six-shooter vs a semi-auto. It is just the speed and capacity at which they can be reloaded.

I know everyone knows this, but just feel like expressing things now. Rather bothered by this.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don't see how that teacher would have gotten to the vehicle in this situation. i'd worry much more about the kids knowing there is a loaded gun in a vehicle. the chances of this type of massacre have to be far less than the chances some kid shoots himself accidently or on purpose because of easy access to firearms.