2014 Ballot Initiatives

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Nov 3, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

everyone thinks they are a moderate too so when people say that I generally don't believe them. my father in law claims to be a moderate and fiscally conservative, but as far as I know has never voted for a republican.

2. volinbham

volinbham Member

I agree that most of what are considered "swing" don't really swing so much as participate/not participate. However there are some who would switch between parties and in close elections they can certainly have an impact.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

"socially liberal, fiscally conservative." The ole mantra. But you can only feed one of those beasts with how things are set up.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is there anyone who claims to be socially conservative, fiscally liberal? What would that even look like?

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You can feed it but your party will lose since its most likely a third party. Both Dems and Reps have some in the house that are classically liberal

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Impact, yes. I still think voter turnout is the overwhelming factor. The first time around for Obama, not all the little old ladies and old men went out. The second time and this midterm, you bet your ass they did. The Dems won't have a good midterm as long as their turnout suffers so much more than the Repubs'. If I were a political strategist, I'd be looking to get as many marijuana initiatives and the like on midterm ballots as possible. Or better yet, think of something clever that will reach the same demographics and inspire the same passions that somehow slips past the older folks' radar. Like internet neutrality, etc.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They did that this midterm and left leaning initiatives won in states that still went conservative in the house and senate races.

I do think the dropping out of the drug war by western states is a interesting build up. Plus Alaska being the first red state to switch is big.

8. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Sales tax revenue + lower prosecution/incarceration expense= more of the right voting in favor.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It didn't even illegalize marijuana until in the 90's.

10. volinbham

volinbham Member

I guess targeting "Basement Grads" wasn't the best strategy for Dems.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/candidates-court-basement-grads-who-struggle-with-student-debt-1414362328

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Otherwise known as buying votes.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Thought this was interesting:

A WSJ/NBC News poll this month found that just 29% of 18- to 34-year-olds rated themselves as very interested in this election, compared with 47% in October four years ago and 60% in 2012. Meanwhile, 64% of voters aged 65 and older said they were very interested in this election.

as you might think, I'm 100% against forgiving student loans.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

But we still have crazy places that have alcohol prohibitions in place and that ended in 1933. It's going to be a long slow process

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Forgiving student loans would be total bullshit. The government has created the price increase in education, so now why should it turn around put the tax payer even more on the line.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Plus neither side wants internet neutrality. They like the power

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

kind of gives the middle finger to the people who went to community college for the first 2 years, lived at home, and worked while in school, specifically so that they didn't have to take out massive student loans.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

There were a huge number that would take out the full amount and then live way above their means partying and stuff too.

Plus the government is forgiving it or being nice, they're saying we'll make these people pay for it by force.

19. volinbham

volinbham Member

there was a story (I'll see if I can find it) about all the student debt that Swedeners' have. How can that be? Tuition is free? Turns out these Swede students take out a bunch of loans to live high on the hog while not working during "free" college. They get out saddled with debt and can't find a job.

There is no reason to amass huge amounts of student loans in order to get an education. Annual in-state, full-time tuition at my school is maybe 6K a year. Work at least part time while in school and voila - you can get a good degree, amazing assistance in finding a job/career and keep debt below 20K. Anyone accumulating more than their anticipated starting salary is a moron.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

That would be me, and I see it as no more of a middle finger than I generally get from you guys here.