Police respond to reports of active shooter in Chattanooga

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Jul 16, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-to-enforce-red-line-oppose-deploying-troops/

Don't send in troops! But you are a ***** for not sending in troops.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

3. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

None of the guys I served with (USMC '03-'08) want any more of their brothers and sisters to be sent back to that shithole get blown apart in. I guess (from my friends perspective) coming back with shrapnel in your chest or missing half your leg will stifle their thirst for blood.

We go over there, we destroy ISIS. We lose hundreds or thousands of young Americans. We leave. Another ISIS pops up.

This is a minor nuisance compared to what being back in Iraq or Syria would be.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I do wonder if these groups just try and poke the bear from time to time to get our blood up with the hopes that we will sink more into the money pit of warfare in the Middle East. Plus, I think they want to get a massive response to gather the entire Muslim world against the Americans by showing dead women and children from drone attacks and military incursions. So, while I'm pissed and want blood myself, I hope the decision we make to deal with the situation is the smartest one available and not just rely on showing "toughness".

5. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Follow-through:

One guy I served with wants boots on the ground but MEU-level and in support of Kurds fighting ISIS.

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Yes! Thank you!

7. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That is exactly what they want.

That's what OBL wanted.

What did he do? He got the US to enforce hyperactive surveillance laws on it's citizens and had it utterly destroy it's (at that point pretty decent) international reputation.

OBL got the US to sink trillions and lose tens of thousands of it's young people in an ultimately pointless struggle against a millennia-old war of muslim factions. And we didn't even get our oil. China did. And then ISIS did.

(*&#$ Iraq, (*&# the Sunnis and #@(*& the Shia.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I was in same time. I can tell you that right now, with ISIS taking back Ramadi, and Fallujah (where guys we know didn't come home), it is pretty well a slap in the face, and one of the "why the hell did we bother" type moments. With them now targeting US military on our soil--that's just a big ass hell no.

But, contrary to popular belief, we aren't robots, and we all have different views. Raiders are back, and I'll wager anything they want to play.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

If we do send troops, we need to leave the POS lawyers home and get rid of some of the ridiculous rules of engagement. This is the enemy, kill them.

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Like I said before... we destroy ISIS (and we would) and, guaranteed, another ISIS will take its place. Iraq is torn between Shia and Sunni and that is what gave rise to ISIS. Destroying ISIS will not solve the problem of radical Islam. Just getting out of that region will at least mitigate it.

This is not worth the billions or trillions of dollars and it isn't our problem to fix.

At most, I can agree with my buddy and drop in an reinforced MEU. The 24th is my personal choice. I don't want more boots than that and a MEU reinforcing the Kurds should be enough.

Past that? Probably the only thing to do is undo British rule and split Iraq between Kurds, Sunnis and Shia. That's it. They're not going to live together peacefully.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is no damn reach at all. If he takes military action, he's a renegade and power-mad. If he doesn't, he's nutless. He can't ****ing please people who only want political strife.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

You should post more, DC Vol.

13. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That would be such a monumentally bad idea. They will never meet the US in open warfare. They'll hide among innocent civilians who are terrified of them.

I think it's hard for a lot of people to grasp the suppressive effect that "I will rape your wife and child and then cut their head off in front of you with a dull blade and then cut your head off with a dull blade" has in terms of suppressing a population.

Killing them would not serve the US any good and would only further destroy our reputation with critical trade partners.

Can the US ever react intelligently to a situation?

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We didn't want to get into the mess of a civil war that wasn't affecting us. That's a lot different than engaging an unaffiliated terrorist cell in ISIS.

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That's the same argument that put us into Vietnam. A small force to train the locals and assess the situation--that got completely outgunned, and led to a massive buildup and occupancy.

We can deal with the next ISIS too, when it pops up. And I'm fine with a hit and run. We're aren't destabilizing the Iraqi government--which is what led to such SASO in the first place. We sweep in, clean house, and pull out. Let the current government move back in. Rinse, repeat.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

It's time to make the entire Middle East declare. You either stamp out ISIS where they stand in your nation or we assume you are in league with them and treat you accordingly.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is it different than bombing terrorist cells in Yemen?

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You mean drive around in Hummers and get blown up. That's a fantastic idea.

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Don't eff with me.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ought to ask them to demonstrate Allah's greatness by meeting us in open combat. He'll protect you Jihadists, right? He's great!