Scathing article on 60 minutes crew arrested in Lebanon

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 16, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've been put in the position where I must simultaneously argue that internment of the Japanese occurred in Hawaii, that internment pales in comparison to what blacks have faced in this country, that white privilege actually does affect Asian Americans (they've just overcome it), and that all claims of black discrimination are invalid because of Appalachia.

All while the underlying implication of saying no barriers of significance exist is being skirted. It's a simple ****ing question. Why? No one will answer it.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, after the Civil War everything was great. We all just held hands and sang African folk songs.

3. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Especially considering there are still people alive who directly experienced the internment.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

are you serious? it's been answered 50 times. you just don't like the answer.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes after the civil war every generation closed the gap to white americans. after the civil rights movement the reverse happened. kind of kills the racism is the problem argument no?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, it hasn't. No one has answered it. Saying "the family structure," "poverty," etc. doesn't explain WHY they are where they are, only where they are.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Again, are you saying the Civil Rights movement was bullshit? Unwarranted?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so racism encourages unwed teenagers to have children?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no. but I don't think telling people the man is keeping them down or owes them or is to blame for their failures has positive consequences. that's human nature. 95% of people will say f it.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Both black and white

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Plenty of Veterans disliked Asians. I remember one old man telling me "I shot at them, they shot at me so **** them and their families".

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Give me a break. When faced with statistics that put one minority ahead of whites on the socioeconomic pecking order, you put forth the explanation that there was no organized resistance to their advancement. Obviously, there actually was. You then shifted things from a whites to Asians comparison to an African-Americans to Asians comparison. The difference in degree of resistance might explain why Asians aren't on par with African-Americans, but not why they are ahead of honkeys.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Hey, you think it's ******'s fault. Pretty much by definition, if it's white privilege, all other races must suffer or have more privilege. You could just admit it's a racist epithet and move on, but you have apparently chosen to hitch yourself to this broken wagon.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

statistics.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It isn't like this is the first place to think of this. You could be making the same argument with Jews, and the same things come up. They're a more tightly cooperative group that came in highly skilled/educated.

Example of someone else stumbling on this "brain buster": http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/opinion/sunday/the-asian-advantage.html

I still maintain that Asian Americans did not face 100+ years of discrimination that was preceded by centuries of slavery. It's apples and oranges. Asians and Jews have a cultural tradition, Blacks have had to reconstruct or reinvent one as they are actually descended from a large swath of subsaharan cultures. If you think these circumstances are the same, we're at an empasse.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have no idea what the asterisks are, or how you arrived at this conclusion. I really don't. I don't think you understand what privilege is and that no one is necessarily blaming anyone. It's a product of a system which has accumulated biases through time.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so judging by what you are saying and the article, blacks have a cultural problem. ok. i'd agree. so doesn't that argue that culture rather than skin color is currently the issue and therefore by definition it isn't any harder to succeed as a black person than as an asian?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

We all agreed on the issues of family structure and what-not. We all agreed. I asked why. Still haven't got an answer.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so white privilege is family structure and what-not? I gave you my why. I absolutely think a major problem is a victimization complex brought on by the civil rights movement.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

giving people an excuse for failure encourages failure. and social programs intended to create a safety net give an incentive to do nothing given the theory that it's hard, if not damn near impossible, to succeed in a racist world.