Muhammad Ali Dead at 74

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Losing some big names recently.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Best of all time

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Float like a butterfly sting like a bee. One of the greatest American athletes of all time. Rest easy to The Champ

4. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

He's easily in the top 5 most influential athletes of all time.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

RIP Ali.

Important man in and out of the ring. But also a complicated and flawed man, as well. What he did to Joe Frazier was horrible. But I think he regretted it later in his life, and he became quite the ambassador.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

As iconic as any figure in sports history.

He's on Rushmore with Ruth, Jordan...and that might be it.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Not for me. Draft dodging so someone else could provide him the freedom to sit his sorry behind at home doesn't work for me. He was a great boxer. He won some fixed fights.

9. Unimane

Refusing to fight in Vietnam was his greatest moment. He didn't dodge the draft; he simply said he wasn't going based on his convictions and was willing to accept the consequences.

The Liston fights weren't fixed, certainly not the first one, at least.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Mr Peace corps who'd rather I did it so he can pretend he's too good and people will be nice comes with this. He wasn't willing anything. He fought tooth and nail behind his faux religion, as he publicly mocked Norton every time he could.

11. Unimane

You mean Frazier, the one piece of truth in there that you have. He was disgustingly terrible to Frazier in order to self promote, I agree. Otherwise, he was Muslim his entire life and didn't become one to avoid the draft.

As for the first sentence, I'm not surprised you would say something so full of ignorance because you are a gigantic piece of shit. **** off.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't understand the pot shot at the Peace Corp.

And I will agree that the Nation of Islam is about as Islamic as the Moonies are Christian.

13. Unimane

Yeah, especially in the 60s, the NOI was pretty cultish and only Malcolm X began to really strive to be more orthodox. Still, I think Ali was an earnest believer from the time he converted until his death and his objections were based upon legit reasons, for him.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Spinks fights were fixed.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Weird how folks come down on him for "draft dodging" when he was willing to suffer the consequences for objecting, but folks can justify Clinton, W. Bush, and others from getting privileged exceptions.

16. Unimane

Really? I've never heard of this accusation. I'm going to have to check this out now. I'd heard a lot about the Liston stuff, but never anything about the Spinks fights.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah. I don't know if I'd go this far, but media has been calling him a hero today for "standing up for what he believed in," i.e., avoiding combat. That's his choice in this country if he's willing to face the consequences (although he didn't), but it definitely doesn't make him or Clinton or Bush or Trump or anyone else who wouldn't go a hero.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'm not justifying any of them. I'm not OK with them.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

At the time, it wasn't his choice.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

More of a choice than he would have had in a lot of places. He wasn't marched out there at gunpoint or taken to Siberia for the rest of his life.