Muhammad Ali Dead at 74

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jun 4, 2016.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As much as he is loved now, he was downright hated in America, and a lot of it was because of his NoI affiliation and his refusal to go into the Army. His 1971 bought with Frazier at Madison Square Garden was the biggest fight the planet has ever seen (save perhaps the 2nd fight between Louis and Schmeling), and Frazier was the favorite of the American people as he was seen as the good guy.

Ali was HATED. Now, whether he cared about that or not, I don't know, but it surely didn't make life easy for him.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I understand that, but that doesn't speak to my point

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

He, essentially, could have lost everything he had, literally, fought for. His title, livelihood, freedom, money, best years of his profession, etc. There were zero guarantees that he could fight again when he refused induction and was sentenced to five years in prison. I think he was risking quite a bit.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I guarantee you his handlers were telling him the us govt was sending him to Vietnam to kill him. So if the alternative is death, I don't really see it as giving up anything. He had to give up his livelihood, money, and best years of his profession by going into the army too

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Guarantee? How so?

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You seriously think they were telling him they were going to parade him around like Elvis and he'd never see combat?

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

So did Ted Williams, DiMaggio, Bob Feller, etc.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Different war.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Irrelevant.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

More along the lines of different people. Three of which weren't utter pieces of shit that went out of their way to dodge.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Support of the Vietnam was was actually pretty high when Ali made his stance

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Also didn't have a retard level iq

13. Unimane

World War II was a much different war than Vietnam and Ali didn't go out of his way to avoid service (And there were plenty of ways). He just said it was an immoral war and he wasn't going to go and kill people 10,000 miles away for no reason.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't remember hearing he had a moral argument when he got a deferment based on his iq being too low

15. Unimane

Because it was in 1962 and we weren't fighting in Vietnam, nor had he converted to Islam.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So killing wasn't against his religion then too?

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I had a great uncle who got his head blown off in Vietnam who didn't agree with why we were there either. Don't expect me to celebrate a ***** who used a faux excuse and his fame to get out of it. I didn't celebrate him when he was alive and won't celebrate his death. He was a helluva boxer. The greatest, in fact. Doesn't change the fact he was an utter piece of shit.

18. Unimane

Vietnam killed my grandfather and I still think Ali was right for refusing to enlist. Ali didn't use his fame to get out of service, either. He was going to jail if the Supreme Court decision didn't go his way and they weren't going his way, originally.

19. Unimane

He hadn't had his religious conversion, yet.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Amazing transformation in 3 years