Muhammad Ali Dead at 74

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Not saying he is a hero. Never have. He took what could be considered a courageous stand by not going to Vietnam. The idea that he was a cowardly draft dodger can certainly be backed up also, I don't deny that. I'm sure many more stories about his character flaws will be coming out soon enough, as they are plentiful.... It's the American way, it seems, to lionize somebody for a week or two after their death and then start exposing all the skeletons....

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I sure can knowing the alternative. Saving your own hide isn't courageous, it's self preservation

3. Savage Orange

You are assuming he'd have actually gotten close to any combat... The Army wouldn't let Joe Louis or Elvis (had there been a war going on during E's hitch...) anywhere near a flying bullet... People like Jimmy Stewart had to basically demand actual combat duty...

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't think Ali or his handlers believed that though. They going to trust a bunch of white Devils?

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Makes his bailing in 62 very curious. He was slow, but not too stupid to pass the army IQ threshold.

6. Savage Orange

Yeah, I don't get that part of the puzzle either....having spent a few hours last night reading up on this whole subject I'm pretty sure he (and his $$$$) was being used by the NOI to further their own cause. I'm not convinced his IQ was truly that low. Maybe it was and he was intelligent in other ways (how smart do you have to be to go 'round bragging about how great you are?) but we'll probably never know whether it was an act or a fact...

7. Savage Orange

In any event, he was certainly one of the more controversial figures of the 20th century and folks will be arguing this point (and whether he truly WAS "The Greatest", which I don't buy... but that's another argument) forever...

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Exactly.

Courageous has become confusing.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

That dude who turned into a woman who is turning back into a dude

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

That too.

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

He had a great deal of trouble with the written word. Probably dyslexic.

12. kidbourbon

[video=youtube;Z14X844RrUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z14X844RrUU[/video]

13. kidbourbon

14. kidbourbon

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Why is Boxing not a thing that people care about anymore? I can't name a champ since Lennox Lewis.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Heavyweight I mean

17. kidbourbon

"The Right Hand Lead Round"

[video=youtube;ZbAY85eQQ30]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbAY85eQQ30[/video]

18. kidbourbon

A lot of different reasons. The rise of NFL football and the complete lack of infrastructure are two notables.

It used to be HUGE, though.

19. Savage Orange

Boxing is kinda like LaCrosse... Folks that are into it are absolutely freaking rabid about it.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Fixing, Don King, etc.