Summer Olympics 2016: Rio

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NorrisAlan, Jun 2, 2016.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You said it would bomb. It didn't.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Viewership down almost 20%; and 30% for "coveted" 18-49 age group. Paying back advertisers. If these Olympics were a corporation, would you buy stock?

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

NBC is paying money back to advertisers

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Buy low, sell high.... so absolutely. In it for the long run, baby. What's their P/E?

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

They likely gave them the rest of the unsold time during the Games to make up for it.

And the streaming numbers are through the roof. They didn't take a bath.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I hate Comcast.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

So, it beat all other Olympics broadcasts but one, and with offering more channels plus online streaming, yet it isn't successful? A shit ton of people were watching the Olympics, as expected.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Rio did a much better job than the media painted it would. Much speculation that the tape delays drove traffic to organizations like the BBC.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

2nd-Highest Primetime Audience for Any Non-U.S. Summer Games. I'm guessing that means Atlanta, possibly LA, are ahead of it as well as London.

10. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Tape delay and the lack of actual sports. Way too many bullshit, feel good stories. I just watched what I wanted on the NBC Sports app on Roku.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

all of the US based olympics killed it. It didn't match London.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

of course they did. That's why they're returning money.

did you expect a press release, from a public company, to paint it as something horrendous.

The analysts will have an opinion and the bump from the Olympics will have been in the comcast projections. We'll know plenty soon enough.

I suspect the online watcher avoiding work actually made this thing work for them, but it certainly wasn't TV viewership. Premier teams falling out before late in the second week hurt them too.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

what did it do? the premier sporting event in the world and they might have broken even? what's that qualify as?

I don't know what you know of advertising for them, but their future ratings for shows are heavily tied to the marketing of those to the proper demographic. They got killed in those demographics.

I'm not sure what you thought I meant, but it has a huge effect on NBC. NBC is clearly unhappy with this outcome. The data isn't remotely working in your favor. You're actually using NBC publicity silliness to support you.

They paid a billion to get here and spent $100 million+ to present these games and racked up $1.2 billion of pregames revenues, of which they're paying back some meaningful percentage. ouch.

I know you don't want to hash through the history here, but I'm pretty sure I said final numbers would be based on the demographics and sweeps as you were posting about pre-games articles that were garbage. Those sweeps are coming home to roost. I suspect they are negotiating furiously to avoid the topic.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

They still had more viewers than 2008, 2004, 2000, etc. and the only basis where it seems to "fail" is that it hasn't reached the high water mark of four years ago and younger viewers using more online resources to watch the Games. the profit from 2012 was $120 million. I'll wager they make a profit from these Games and be savvier about online revenue, which, according to what I've read, is already 10% of their revenue as it is being they had partnerships with online sites to share ad revenue. Tokyo will probably be a struggle because everything will be behind due to time differences, but, if the 2024 Games go to LA, then they pay off big time.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

They're not refunding advertisers anything. They simply ran their ads in the unsold space they had remaining. There's a difference.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It only failed after the numbers came out, people saw how good they were, and now have to somehow justify their ludicrous pre games proclamations with "but, but it wasn't London so, yeah, take that!!"

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

some usa today reporter actually went to it and said there was no sign of any damage and there were no new fixtures (i.e. didn't look like anything had been repaired either).

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

One of Lochte's problem is that he is too stupid to explain himself clearly and succinctly to national media.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

his 3rd or 4th version was essentially that he needed to pee and looked for an open bathroom and when he came out the people demanded payment for us by gunpoint. that seems to be close to the truth. he's certainly not the brightest light around.

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Got drunk with friends and stopped at Siete-Once. Acted stupid, peed in alley. Security were *****, pulled out a gun and demanded money. Paid and got the hell out.

Is that robbery or recompense fairly due? Or does it just depend on which side of gun you are on?

Apologize and pay 11k to my favorite "charity" and you can call it anything you want. Otherwise, go to Brajail.