Summer Olympics 2016: Rio

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NorrisAlan, Jun 2, 2016.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Dammit, didn't see this.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Also, spelling is proving difficult.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Soap dispenser broken, urinating, possible damage to bathroom door. That's as much as I know.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I ate at a restaurant in Mexico, naturally had a couple of Sol beers, when it was time to urinate, the [itch bay] made me pay a dollar. So, naturally I pissed 6 inches to the right of the toilet. I'm not terribly proud of it now, but eff that [itch bay] for feeding me all that beer knowing she was going to charge me to piss.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Down 10% from London despite a better team and better time zone. I'm surprised because I really enjoyed it this year.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Nope. Did I miss the part about it being the most successful media event history?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

But what about the bath? Did they take a bath?

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

They took a bath alright.

In cash.

11. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

They made bank on just gas station bathroom repairs alone.

12. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

13. RockyHill

From Bloomberg:

Prime-time broadcast viewership has been down about 17 percent compared to the London games four years ago. And in the 18-to-49-year-old age group coveted by advertisers, it’s been even worse. That audience has been 25 percent smaller, according to Bloomberg Intelligence.

14. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

You're citing Bloomberg? Will you cite them about Trump?

15. RockyHill

Where'd that come from?

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Period.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Did you read it?

Maybe it occurred to you that they paid more but didn't beat London. That help?

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It is a memo from NBC; they are going to try and put the best spin on it.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

According to a number of analysts, primetime viewership for Rio was down as much as 17% compared to the previous Summer Games in London in 2012. Most worrying for NBC, however, is the fact that there’s an even larger gap in the viewership in the coveted 18-to-49 age group. According to some estimates, that audience has been as much as 30% smaller than for previous games.

The network’s numbers have been so weak that it has been compensating media buyers for under-delivering on its ratings promises by as much as 15% with what are called “make good” payments, or free offers of equivalent advertising spots.

Some of that weakness can also be detected by reading between the lines of the network’s press releases. For example, NBC takes pains to note that Rio was “the first in U.S. media history with live primetime coverage on channels other than the primary broadcast network,” and that it was also the first time that coverage has been streamed simultaneously across a variety of digital platforms.

In other words, don’t blame us if the numbers don’t compare well to previous Olympics. It’s a little like Usain Bolt arguing that the track has changed since the last time he won a medal.

http://fortune.com/2016/08/22/nbc-ratings-rio/

20. RockyHill

Exactly